Author Topic: Heating advice  (Read 4758 times)

Offline saoirse

Heating advice
« on: July 22, 2011, 14:18:37 PM »
Our wee house in winter is colder than a polar bears bum so we finally wanna bite the bullet and get it sorted for next winter.

The house is plumbed for radiators. What I would like to know is has anyone any info re the radiators being heated by electric? Had never heard of this in Turkey and was just advised recently that it can be done.

Any info/advice would be very welcome.

Offline screamlead

Heating advice
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 14:45:14 PM »
I wouldnt run a boiler on electric - it would cost a fortune. You can get boilers installed here that run on gas, that would be a cheaper option i think. But out in the sticks we use wood burners or Sobas running off coal, 1 bag lasts almost a week @ 9tl a bag.

Offline phil1839

Heating advice
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 15:14:44 PM »
We have got Gas Central Heating and it can be a very expensive option if you run it as you would the Central Heating in the UK. A 45kg gas bottle costs over 200 tl at the moment. We mainly use it to heat the water from the Combi Boiler when the sun isn't shining. We have a woodburner in the lounge, last year we used a ton of hardwood which came bagged at 250tl a ton.  Also the thermostat contolled heaters are quite good.  A lot of people seem to be buying the back boilers which run on coal and wood, I think that would be my option if we were starting again. This winter will be our sixth in the mountains I think the best way to keep warm is an electric blanket and an early night or sit in one of the bars and use their heating to keep warm. Phil

Offline C-E

Heating advice
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 21:33:42 PM »
Hi Saoirse, we are as warm as toast all winter (all day and all night too) From when it gets chilly to when it warms up in late spring.  We set the temp in the house and the boiler out side does all the hard work.

We have full central heating that runs off a Coal fired boiler.  Hopper feed, so we top the hopper up every 4 days with coal,

We use a bag (25kg) of coal per day 10TL per bag.

Our home is always warm and we do not need to use electric blankets or thick quilts on our beds.

Even the cats are content to sleep all day indoors.

If you need to chat to us either email us direct or call 0536 866 5286

C & E.

(our system even heats our pool in winter if needed)

Offline jacqki

Heating advice
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »
C-E We are also interested to hear more about heating options as we need to install one in our property in Uzumlu so have emailed you. If anyone else has advice or suggestions of who to use to have it installed we would be very grateful to hear your suggestions.Also some idea of the cost of installation.

Offline Foosey

Heating advice
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »
C.E another interested party here also. We also have the property plumbed for radiators but what happens after that? All the end of plumbing for them seems to be in a cupboard under the stairs. Is this big job to install an outside boiler? Sorry must sound bit dumb. Please feel free to email any advise you have.
Many Thanks

Offline Denise40

Heating advice
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 13:48:32 PM »
We have a wood burner that heats the water in the back boiler of the wood burner unit and heats all the rads through the house - we had this done whilst the house was being built, however friends had it installed a few months back and at the time they just had the pipe work for the radiators and an open fire place.
I did hear a few months back that coal will eventually be ilegal to use! But who knows.

Anyone wishing to obtain a price to get radidators and a wood burner installed with the pipe work please contact the local builder Mustafa in uzumlu as his plumber is one of the few who knows how the system operates.  The wood burner is from a company in Fethiye and made in the UK as a whole unit.

Offline Firo

Heating advice
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 15:21:30 PM »
If I was going to build again I would opt for Denise's back boiler set up. I would have a log burner anyway (forget ever having an open fire) so by attaching a back boiler, to something I would use anyway, it heats the whole house.
We have gas central heating fitted but it's way too expensive to use.
We have looked into the pricing of an electric combi boiler and it's the cheapest heating boiler according to the studies we read so that would be another option.
We looked into the coal fired outside boiler but decided against it as it had to be cleaned and loaded everyday and we're just too darn lazy to do that...lol
We have a log burner and thermostatically controlled AEG electric radiators and with an electric blanket we are kept warm.
Hope that helps Phil.

Offline jacqki

Heating advice
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 16:09:18 PM »
Thank you all for sharing your options of heating systems. It seems to me that a wood burner with back boiler seems a good idea - we do already have a fireplace although at the moment it is neither use nor ornament! Could anyone give me an idea of the cost of this and who you can recommend to install a system. We will be coming over in late August and it would be good to get this sorted while we are there ready for the big move next Spring - can't wait!!

Offline jacqki

Heating advice
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 16:11:38 PM »
Apologies to Denise40 I have just noticed that she recommends Mustafa local builder.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf