Author Topic: Heating advice  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Old Daffodil

Heating advice
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 17:05:29 PM »
We had a tank put underground and used LPG gas for the radiators.

Offline Firo

Heating advice
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 17:17:03 PM »
So much more expensive than the log burner/back boiler option to run and install...

Offline Denise40

Heating advice
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 17:24:26 PM »
Jacqki you are more than welcome to come and take a look at our system when you are here in August.

Offline jacqki

Heating advice
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 17:36:33 PM »
Denise40 that would be fantastic will email you nearer the time if thats ok.

Offline jackstee

Heating advice
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 20:32:54 PM »
Well we are two beds,lounge , kitchen but all open to each other(if you keep the bed doors open that is) we have a small multi fuel cast iron stove fron some country around scandinaviour. (ok spell not to good)

Its 8 inch wide, one foot deep and around 2 foot high with 4 inch legs.

This little stove keeps the whole house roasty. Walk around in just a pair of nicks even in January.

Not cheap to buy, around 800 three years ago but great.

Stopped using coal because of the smell of the smoke outside, combined with the other people burning bad quality lignite.

I have found that buying logs in summer is slightly cheaper than in winter, plus they are bone dry. Good and bad. Bone dry means they light quickly and give out a fantastic amount of heat, but they burn quickly.

New,fresher logs are difficult to start off but burn a lot slower, but make a lot of soot.

Great way to heat the house.

Make sure you have a Co detector.

Good luck

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Heating advice
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 20:54:41 PM »

We like others on here had gas central heating and it became very expensive to run.

The biggest problem with heating in Turkey is the house building method as there is no insulation. If I was starting again I would make sure that I had adequate insulation built in to the property. It should not add a great deal more to the cost of the build as bricks are pretty cheap. It can be done because houses built in the north of the country have insulation.

Offline corbindallas

Heating advice
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
After a lot of research into the various systems we decided to have a back tank boiler which has 8 radiators coming off it but the system we have will allow upto 12 rads,it can also be adapted for under floor heating set up as well. We use a mix of soft wood and hard wood as find soft wood gives of more flame than hard wood but use both together to give a longer burn as the hard wood burns slower, roughly 2-3 hours per load which heats the back boiler quicker, the radiators get so hot you can't touch them and this system makes the house very cosy in winter, like others we have a large open plan front room, dining area and kitchen, it also gives you a closed fire, so flames to watch in the main room which is also really great to see.The system is a Turkish one and there are shops in Fethiye selling them, we decided to go through our builder to source the system as it was cheaper, if you contact Ahmet info@livinginfethiye.com in the village he runs Living in Fethiye car hire and his builder partner is Serdar, his shop is 30 meters past the PTT on the left hand side, he can get quotes for a system for you, this system also included a small 'Jenny' as you need to have a back up in possible power cuts as the system is obviously a high pressure closed water running system. We also used around 3 tonnes of wood last winter 2 soft 1 hard.

Offline saoirse

Heating advice
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 11:11:38 AM »
some amazing advice there-thank you all very much

I am researching my radiators being heated from the electric combi bolier and would appreciate info on running cost from anyone who has one.

It has been suggested to me that for the winter months a lecky bill for a modest 3 bedroom house would be around 800tl a month-does that sound about right?

Thanks again everyone
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:12:39 AM by saoirse »

Offline Foosey

Heating advice
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »
Thanks for all the advise given - I wish we had had something installed when we had the Villa built earlier this year.

Offline Firo

Heating advice
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 19:19:32 PM »
Saoirse go see Alarko in Fethiye as he has all the running costs so you could work it all out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf