Author Topic: Could you occupy a full day in Uzumlu  (Read 5964 times)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Could you occupy a full day in Uzumlu
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:39:53 AM »
I think it depends on what you're looking for.  If you come on a Friday, you can do the market.  But it really isn't big at all.  You can wander round the back streets, they have real character (photo opportunity there), but its a bit of a maze, hence my previous comment.  There's maybe 4 or more places to eat in the centre.  If you want a longer walk, you can walk round the valley (see Turkish houses, villas goats, chickens, sheep, cows), -yet another chance to get lost and take fab photos.  i am not being negative, before anyone says I am.  I just know that I have managed to get lost in the valley, LOL!  You can sit and chill either around the town centre or at places on the main Denizli road.  The scenery is lovely (photo, photo).  I  think it largely depends on YOU, how hot it is and whether you have a car.  If you have a car, you could take a trip up to Cadianda, above Uzumlu (can be a rugged drive).  Or nip across to Incirkoy over the other side of the valley (more photos).

OK Calvin?   :)

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 08:56:40 AM »
Spot on Rindy!! :P

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 09:44:40 AM »
well I have never been bored there yet !  and we go for weeks at a time ! - but as Rindi says, it depends on you.  If you want to chill, its fantastic.  Walk around the village, and then further into the valley, its absolutely beautiful and if you are a photographer, the hours will whizz past.  Several nice places to eat, and a couple of places for a cool drink as you sit and watch the world go by.  To me, Uzumlu isn't about passing through, its about taking the time to sit and watch, to savour and to breath in the atmosphere.  Never enough hours in a day for us when we are in Uzumlu.  Stunningly beautiful, peaceful and 'Turkish' !

Offline Denise40

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »
If you decide on come on a Friday the next craft fair is on the 24th Feb 11-2pm at the Winehouse where you will be served a free tea or coffee, there are always people around on this day sitting on the undercover terrace so there is a good atmosphere.  Plus you may wish to sample the goodies the Turkish and English Ladies have to offer!

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
If you are active and like walking then a walk up to Cadianda makes a superb day out to Uzumlu.
You can get a dolmus from Fethiye, a stroll round the village of Uzumlu is interesting with the lacemaking looms in many of the houses, and some of the older buildings are very photogenic.
If you walk to Cadianda it will take around an hour and a half to get there, then another hour and a half to walk around the site, and a bit less than another hour and a half back down to Uzumlu.
A meal at the Winehouse rounded off a fabulous day out for us, followed by a trip back to Fethiye on the Dolmus.
This is something we will certainly do again.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 15:40:10 PM »
Pookie..sounds idyllic.  

As you say adjust to what is there:

Sail out of Fethiye bay.
Laze on a beach..........Swim if you want
Promenade on the Calis seafront.
People watch in Uzumlu.
Barter in the shops in Hisaronu.
Party all you want wherever you can with friends old and new.

Turkey has it all 8)

Offline CAROL BROWNE

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 16:06:00 PM »
we went last year to uzumlu. we loved it, traveled by car.walked up lots of side streets and said meraba [ hope that's how you spell it] to all the lovely people who live there. parked in the square and walked from there. had a drink in the winehouse very nice. one thing we was wondering what were the older women doing sitting in what i would call sheds under the houses filling bags with straw.was it for winter food for the animals?

Offline tonyb

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 16:33:04 PM »
Thank you, as usual, your help & sarcasm is a joy you would never find in Tourist Information Office. Looking like half a day then !!!

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 18:54:57 PM »
Uzumlu is like marmite you either love it or hate it, we love it so much we chose to move here full time, it is a village still, it is laid back, that is part of it's charm, but it still offers 11 different style resturants at last count, 20 minutes further up the road at this time of year you can make a snowman and have a snowball fight or 20 minutes the other way your in central Fethiye. As said we have the 5BC Roman and Byzantine era ruins of Cadianda to explore on our doorstep lots of different walks or visit the open loom shops in the centre of the village where the ladies of the village will show you their skills at making clothes, rugs, table ware, jewellery etc. Have a beer or glass of wine at the Winehouse or Grape Gardens which are both in the centre of the village or even a meal at any of the 11 resturants spread around the village. We even now boast a cash machine and credit cards are a known method of payment now and if your quick Lake Uzumlu is available to see in the valley flats at this time of the year as well ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 18:57:40 PM by corbindallas »

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 19:03:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by CAROL BROWNE

we went last year to uzumlu. we loved it, traveled by car.walked up lots of side streets and said meraba [ hope that's how you spell it] to all the lovely people who live there. parked in the square and walked from there. had a drink in the winehouse very nice. one thing we was wondering what were the older women doing sitting in what i would call sheds under the houses filling bags with straw.was it for winter food for the animals?

Carol that is our Wicker man being made for our annual village virgin's ceremony but sshhh it's a secret it's only for locals!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf