Author Topic: mini pc/tv dongle  (Read 2664 times)

Offline wickwilly

mini pc/tv dongle
« on: November 30, 2015, 19:53:25 PM »
I have just been given a mini pc/tv dongle which is fully loaded with Film on, kodi etc but it won't pick up my internet connection on my smart tv.  Internet is working on the tv. Any suggestions as to why would be greatly appreciated.
WW

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: mini pc/tv dongle
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 22:26:18 PM »
Not sure but I think it should pick up your wifi router not the TV. Your tv is obviously picking it up but your dongle will need to be connected to your router to receive the Internet.

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »
Thanks Stoop. I have just been to a computer shop in town and who tells me that my modem is too far away from the tv for the android box to pick up the signal. He can sell me a larger one which he guarantees will work !!!
WW   

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 08:20:40 AM »
Mmmm if the wireless signal from the router works for the smart TV why would it not work for the android dongle in the same location?  But I expect that the shop owner was glad to sell you another router though!

Did you set up your wi-fi network on the android device in 'Settings'?

Could you view the wi-fi network OK (in Settings Wi-FI) on the device and did you enter the wi-fi password?

Try these before you buy any new router!!

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 12:46:50 PM »
Hi Usedbustickets. The android device would not pick up wifi when I plugged it into the hdmi slot on the tv. The android box was immediately showing but when it tried to find an internet connection it remained as ''searching for connection'' The shop lent me another more powerful device which I can purchase if satisfied. It immediately picked up my internet and is working a treat!!! 
WW

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 13:46:48 PM »
So have you changed your router or the TV device?  If it is the latter case I'd be interested to know what device the shop supplied you with, was it still an android TV device or something else?

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 10:33:58 AM »
Hi UBT.  I changed the device to  an Android 4,4 Style quadcore box.  It has wifi , blue tooth 2 usb points ,hdmi, camera for skype  and projector facilities. Also an arial so it  can pick up the internet from a distance. Not cheap mind you !!!. 
WW

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf