Author Topic: Printer advice  (Read 3279 times)

Offline sadler

Printer advice
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:18:39 AM »
I am looking to replace my printer. I want a wireless, scanner and copier. I have come unstuck previously by buying a reasonably priced printer but the inks have been extortionate. Also aware that some printers are not now compatible with the cheap copy ink cartridges available on the internet.  I would hopefully use it for printing photos and small amounts of document printing.  Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks   :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Printer advice
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »
I think some of the Epson printers still accept cheap cartridges. Mine certainly does and it saves me a fortune.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »
Unfortunately mine is now replaced by a newer model but it's worth checking eBay for cheap cartridges before you buy any printer.

Offline sadler

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »
Hi Stoop. I have a relatively new Epsom XP 510. I put the cheap ink cartridges in it and got warnings and a message that it would not work as an error had been identified with the ink cartridge. I kept over riding this until it eventually decided to work then the inks leaked all over the roller! I then read that there was a built in date on some printers that they would not work after with copy cartridges in! Lesson learned. Not a very expensive one though as a new set of Epsom cartridges were in the area of £40 and the printer cost in the region of £60. So I am looking for a good, cheap printer with cheap cartridges and not a great life expectancy! Thanks for your input though, and good luck with your printer.  :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »
Had it three or four years now. Still buying the same cheap cartridges and they are brill. I occasionally get a warning that they are not Epson but just click it off and away I go.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »
XP202

Offline sadler

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 13:20:38 PM »
They look very like the ones I was using. My printer was less than a year old and I did read an article regarding the date which is supposedly meant to be programmed into these printers to make them useless if the manufacturers inks are not used. My catastrophe happened very shortly after that. Up until then, I had used the "compatible" cartridges for years. Just going to buy the genuine article from now on. Have read the the HP Envy series of printers are good and the inks relatively cheap (well, quite a lot less than the genuine Epsom inks) I hope you have better luck than I did.   :)

Offline Andrew H

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 15:22:22 PM »
I have Epson XP322. Bought 4 cartridges x2 and got a third for free so 12 in all for £38. Works perfectly
and last a long time. Have never bought the genuine ones.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 16:30:59 PM »
I paid £6.99 for 12. Work great and last OK. Never had a dud from that guy.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 19:11:02 PM »
This was in the DM last year re HP printer cartridge fiddling, this chap reckons it can be over ridden (obviously he's in USA- Bennyandthejets) anyone know if this can this be done here?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf