Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 291410 times)

Offline lissa

Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #1180 on: August 11, 2018, 19:52:51 PM »
Food price hikes already hitting. Though I agree that some people who have their own chickens, goats, land won't be affected just yet, many of the village people in the surrounding tourist areas sold lots of their land. Some obviously still retain some but the feel near to resorts has changed, I feel. Many gave money to their children, other relatives, whoever, to open businesses. This coming weekend in Fethiye and Calis will be busy, but this winter?  Businesses will fail without a doubt. I have lived here for a number of years but have always been surprised at the level of rents in Fethiye, especially in Paspatur and along the old and new kordon. Always in dollars or euros also.
There are some very ruch people in Fethiye, and obviously everywhere else, but a lot that aren't. God only knows what will happen, but as our leader said, we have god!

Offline Phil

« Reply #1181 on: August 12, 2018, 13:06:24 PM »
If I owned a business in Turkey ( big or small ) I would be quite happy for my customers to pay me with sterling at the moment.

Are there any signs that shops, restaurants , excursions sellers etc. are actively encouraging people to pay with other currencies ??

Offline sadler

« Reply #1182 on: August 12, 2018, 13:14:12 PM »
If I owned a business in Turkey ( big or small ) I would be quite happy for my customers to pay me with sterling at the moment.

Are there any signs that shops, restaurants , excursions sellers etc. are actively encouraging people to pay with other currencies ??

I was buying jewellery in Ed’s with sterling in July.   :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1183 on: August 13, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »
Fortunately this forums server is based in the UK.  It is also located within a UK top level domain (i.e. .co.uk). 

If it wasn't then the wee fella, if he knew about us, would be gunning for us.  Nearly four hundred social media accounts are having legal action taken against them for "provocative statements" about the lira, and its current state.  A sort of online purge you could almost say.

So, if your going to say anything "provocative" in this topic, just make sure you are not readily identifiable  ;)

Anyway, another bad Mondays trading.  The wee boy simply hasn't instilled any confidence whatsoever to investors and traders in the lira.

His cunning plan to save the economy was worthy of an episode of Blackadder.

What is a concern is his statement from todays HDN:

"Albayrak dismissed any suggestion that Turkey might intervene in dollar-denominated bank accounts, saying any seizure or conversion of those deposits into lira was out of the question, warning that "legal action will be taken against those who spread rumors and lies."

In the interview Albayrak described the lira's weakness as "clearly an attack," echoing Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan."

To me this shows that he's toeing the party line, i.e. Turkey's economic issues are all caused by others and that the ruling party are blameless.

The response to the question of privately held dollar accounts is expected - I'm not sure if legally they can seize/convert foreign currency accounts, but given the powers now held by the all powerful supreme leader, it'd only take a nod.  Remember Cyprus anyone?

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #1184 on: August 13, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »
It's hovering at 8.96. Will it fall to 9 today ?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:53:30 PM by KKOB »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1185 on: August 13, 2018, 19:07:05 PM »
There's a post from Sinan Demirbas of The Travel Shop in Marmaris that's been copied onto the Hiroshima page on FB that says that as from this morning banks in Marmaris are no longer accepting £s or Euros. So, The Travel Shop is advising tourists to change their money to TL before coming out to Turkey.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1186 on: August 13, 2018, 19:25:17 PM »
Isn’t that the opposite of the official plea for people to give up their foreign currency and exchange it for lira?

I can’t say I’m not confused once again...

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1187 on: August 13, 2018, 19:55:21 PM »
Exactly. Me too.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1188 on: August 14, 2018, 14:34:44 PM »
Isn’t that the opposite of the official plea for people to give up their foreign currency and exchange it for lira?

I can’t say I’m not confused once again...

maybe they don't want to take the hit?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1189 on: August 15, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
There seems to have been a slight recovery overnight.

7.63 this morning.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf