Author Topic: Smoking in bars/restaurants-should it be allowed?  (Read 12029 times)

Offline anna g

Smoking in bars/restaurants-should it be allowed?
« on: December 27, 2011, 18:32:41 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but I understood the law for smoking in bars/resturants is that you are not allowed to smoke inside?

Well I am sick of going into places such as Abra/Friar Tucks and finding people happily smoking at tables and the bar. These people are very inconsiderate and selfish and should know better. What's worse still is the owners letting them. Even if you question this they just say they let the customers do it.

Just because it's winter and the bars are quiet shouldn't mean these people can do what they want. It's not such a hardish popping outside for a smoke. It's bad enough that there are not many places to go to during the winter but I am even more restriced now. I have a small son and not being able to go the the park when it's wet and cold it's nice to at least take him somewhere where he can have a run about and meet people but even this is proving now to be limited.

To the owners and customers who see this please why don't you abide by the law and stop being selfish. [:(!]

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 18:39:41 PM »
Whether it is right or not (and that is a debate that will go on forever), these establishments are being actively targeted and fined - quite heavily. It's a good earner so once they get hit in the pocket a few times, I think you'll see their relaxed attitude change.

Offline Julesp

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 20:10:56 PM »
Yes the smoking police havent been around yet But I expect they will after the New Years work is finished. Im a smoker but abide by the rules even when the bar owners insist its ok to smoke inside.

Have to agree with the majority of bar owners though, that the sobe or inside fire is smoking nicely so what difference does a ciggie make?

I cant see the Turks sitting down and letting their business go down the pan the same as many Bars in Uk did and in my opinion Children should not be allowed in bars anyway, its not a playground for when its cold outside

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 20:38:48 PM »
Banning children from bars there would be a great move for a holiday resort.

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 20:40:00 PM »
The soba doesn't produce nicotine you cant smoke in the supermarket or hospital or dentist ,i smoked for 54 years and gave up 2 years ,i didn't give it up in the u.k. if i wanted a fag outside i went ,but it made me cut down which was a good thing ,i would go out for a few pints and smoke 10 fags ,when the law changed 3/4 a session,and yes i agree no children in pubs,a lot of people go to the pub to get away from noisy unruly kids ,over here its different . ;)

Offline amca

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 20:45:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Banning children from bars there would be a great move for a holiday resort.

... and planes and trains and beaches and supermarkets.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 20:46:28 PM »
Ask the owner to ban kids, I'm sure they'll turn away the family business from now without any worries at all  :)

Offline Julesp

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 20:56:06 PM »
I was replying to anna g s post specifically Is a bar really a substitute to a park just because the weather is cold? You dont see Turk kids out in the bars this time of year.

I smoke as I said. and Yetis and myself go outside all the time to not break the rules

Of course obey the rules But dont expect people to change their culture for your own interests

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 21:03:26 PM »
So you don't see how bar owners would be willing to jeopardise part of their income caused by the banning smoking ("I cant see the Turks sitting down and letting their business go down the pan") but you think excluding the people with children part of their business will not be a problem for them.

Offline Julesp

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 21:21:37 PM »
The bar owners can make their own minds up Its their business, Ive told those that allow smoking inside that they are stupid but it is their problem

I dont smoke inside for this reason

I didnt say I thought they should exclude kids! If anna j wants to take the kids to a bar Well dont expect everyone else to cater exclusively for kids in the Uk you cant take kids to a bar unless they have a childrens room

In the summer during tourist season the bars and reataurants are open to the air so thats no problem

Ive got Grand kids etc But I dont expect everyone to change the place just because i take them there

If you live here Except the way of life

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf