Author Topic: another reason to go to turkey - SHARKS  (Read 1235 times)

Offline ytokgoz

• www.propertyandturkey.com
another reason to go to turkey - SHARKS
« on: March 12, 2014, 11:44:28 AM »
now i got your attention , you may find it amusing this article on guardian online

A great white shark … look out for one near Britain soon.
Name: Lydia

Appearance: Huge and terrifying.

That's very unkind. I don't think Lydia will care.

Why not? Because she's a great white shark, which means she's meant to be huge and terrifying. And also that she doesn't know how to read.

Good. Best not to annoy a great white, eh? Definitely. Especially not when she's heading right for us.

Us being the inhabitants of the British Isles? Yes. Lydia was tagged by a group of marine biologists a year ago off the coast of Florida. Since then she's been to Bermuda, pootled up the eastern seaboard, mucked around in Newfoundland, and then – around Christmas – begun the long journey across the Atlantic in our direction.

Help! We're all going to be eaten alive! No we're not, for a number of reasons.

Tell me them quickly! Reason one: sharks do pretty much all of their devouring in the sea. Are you in the sea?

No. I'm at home, and I'm locking the door. Reason two: even in their habitual waters it is incredibly rare for a shark to attack a person. Take 2010, which was the worst year in a decade for unprovoked attacks. How many confirmed incidents do you think there were of someone being attacked by a shark of any species?

I don't know. Just tell me! Seventy-nine. In the whole world. In a bad year. The vast majority not fatal. On average just one person dies from a shark attack in the US every two years.

I see. Reason three: there's never been a confirmed sighting of a great white shark in British waters, and Lydia is still about a thousand miles away. Plus in the past 24 hours she's sort of turned round.

Oh. The expedition leader, Chris Fischer, thinks Lydia might be pregnant, and perhaps heading east to give birth. "If you forced me to guess where," he says. "I'd say it was over in the Mediterranean, near Turkey …"

Help! I'm going to Turkey on holiday! I refer you to reason two.

Do say: "It's never going to happen ..."

Don't say: "... On the other hand, she might be eating for between three and 11."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/shortcuts/2014/mar/11/great-white-shark-atlantic-lydia

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: another reason to go to turkey - SHARKS
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »
Lydia oh Lydia, you can learn a lot from Lydia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVBBxptpSY8

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »
Made me smile. I do hope she manages to find an undisturbed,safe place to have her baby.

Offline cheffy

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 07:58:53 AM »
Quote from: ytokgoz link=topic=54504.msg357021#msg357021 dates=1394624668
now i got your attention , you may find it amusing this article on guardian online

She could be eating for two!

A great white shark … look out for one near Britain soon.
Name: Lydia

Appearance: Huge and terrifying.

That's very unkind. I don't think Lydia will care.

Why not? Because she's a great white shark, which means she's meant to be huge and terrifying. And also that she doesn't know how to read.

Good. Best not to annoy a great white, eh? Definitely. Especially not when she's heading right for us.

Us being the inhabitants of the British Isles? Yes. Lydia was tagged by a group of marine biologists a year ago off the coast of Florida. Since then she's been to Bermuda, pootled up the eastern seaboard, mucked around in Newfoundland, and then – around Christmas – begun the long journey across the Atlantic in our direction.

Help! We're all going to be eaten alive! No we're not, for a number of reasons.

Tell me them quickly! Reason one: sharks do pretty much all of their devouring in the sea. Are you in the sea?

No. I'm at home, and I'm locking the door. Reason two: even in their habitual waters it is incredibly rare for a shark to attack a person. Take 2010, which was the worst year in a decade for unprovoked attacks. How many confirmed incidents do you think there were of someone being attacked by a shark of any species?

I don't know. Just tell me! Seventy-nine. In the whole world. In a bad year. The vast majority not fatal. On average just one person dies from a shark attack in the US every two years.

I see. Reason three: there's never been a confirmed sighting of a great white shark in British waters, and Lydia is still about a thousand miles away. Plus in the past 24 hours she's sort of turned round.

Oh. The expedition leader, Chris Fischer, thinks Lydia might be pregnant, and perhaps heading east to give birth. "If you forced me to guess where," he says. "I'd say it was over in the Mediterranean, near Turkey …"

Help! I'm going to Turkey on holiday! I refer you to reason two.

Do say: "It's never going to happen ..."

Don't say: "... On the other hand, she might be eating for between three and 11."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/shortcuts/2014/mar/11/great-white-shark-atlantic-lydia

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 08:03:10 AM »
What was the point of that Cheffy ?

Offline cheffy

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
Oops was going to say she's feeding for two!  But it didn't quite work out, using a tab, and it seems to have mind of its own,  technology eh?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf