Author Topic: The new RP conundrum  (Read 5286 times)

Offline saoirse

The new RP conundrum
« on: February 21, 2014, 22:05:12 PM »
I know we are all still just chewing the fat until we have definitive info re the new RPs but heres a conundrum based on what we know so far that I just cannot get my head round.

A new Short Term RP is to be introduced VALID FOR STAY ONLY UP TO 12 MONTHS

However the same legislation states  that the Short Term RP MAY BE CANCELLED SHOULD YOU BE OUT OF TURKEY FOR MORE THAN 4 months!!!

For the life of me I cannot see how those two statements are compatible. If you were to take a new Short Term RP for any less than 8 months then obviously you would be out of Turkey for more than 4 months!!!!!

Interesting/ confusing times ahead this April

Offline quackers

Re: The new RP conundrum
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:01:44 AM »
Because it is a Residency Permıt for Resıdents not a Visitors Visa. When you obtain one you are statıng you are goıng to lıve here for a year . If you leave the country for 4 months you are not a Resident so ıts canx. Visitors can stay for 3 months on a Visa then must leave.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:22:49 AM »
Theres no mention anywhere of it being compulsory to take a minimum of a year- indeed quite the opposite, it says UP TO 12 MONTHS.

On introducing the new measure the authorities also stressed it would specifically be helpful for those with holiday homes who take longer vacations, so again NOT aimed at f/t residents.

UP TO. 12 months surely would imply 5,6,7 months

A possible explanation-You can take a Short Term RP for 5, 6,7,8 months etc BUT if for example you took it for 11 but went home after a month, come 4 months of absence from Turkey it would be cancelled requiring you to apply over again.

In other words apply just for what you need be it 4, 5,6,7 ..up to 12 months.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:22:26 AM by saoirse »

Offline Marggie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 09:37:25 AM »
You would think so but it would appear to be purely thought out as usual.  Similar to SSK and the 90)180 day Visa.  It is just over one month until it comes into force and people who have been in touch with the Embassy in the UK report that the Embassy does not know anything about the new first time Residence Permit having to be obtained in our own country.

We took out Residency to get round the 90/180 day Visa but reading the new rules on Residency it would appear that if we leave the country for 120 days our Permit MAY be cancelled .  This leaves people "hanging in the air" not knowing what will happen with their Permit.  We come to the UK for approximately two months in the winter, two months in the summer and a couple of weeks in November.  This means we will have exceeded 120 days out of Turkey.  Will they cancel our Residency?

When we read about the new rules on Residency, we thought we would reduce our time in Turkey to six months and just use 90/180 day Visa but since October 2013 the way your time in Turkey is calculated has been changed to a rolling 90 days out of 180 days - i.e they calculate from your date of departure.  Had they continued to calculate  the 90/180 days as they had been doing up to October we could have worked round it and been in Turkey for a couple of months in the spring and then a couple of months from September, with the new way of calculating that is impossible.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »
Marggie I am confident under the new Short Term RP you will be able to take 5,6,7 month hols in Turkey

Offline Marggie

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 10:25:41 AM »
Philip, I hope you are correct though it seems crazy that people who are "permanent" residents and have previously had three or five year Permits will only be able to get yearly Permits.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 10:28:34 AM »
For them its just a matter of going to the local office once a year for renewal. After collecting 8 stamps  ( subject to conditions) they get permanent status. A lot better deal than some other countries

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 10:35:59 AM »
Marggie I am confident under the new Short Term RP you will be able to take 5,6,7 month hols in Turkey

Good to see someone's got confidence in what's going on there.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
When we read about the new rules on Residency, we thought we would reduce our time in Turkey to six months and just use 90/180 day Visa but since October 2013 the way your time in Turkey is calculated has been changed to a rolling 90 days out of 180 days - i.e they calculate from your date of departure.  Had they continued to calculate  the 90/180 days as they had been doing up to October we could have worked round it and been in Turkey for a couple of months in the spring and then a couple of months from September, with the new way of calculating that is impossible.

Have I missed something? What is the 'new' way of calculating the 90/180?

Offline Marggie

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 12:07:14 PM »
Bewva, here is link which explains.  Won't affect people who go for a couple of weeks once or twice a year.

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/residency_turkey_visas_work_permit_questions/90180_day_visa_further_twist_53021.msg345089.html#msg345089

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf