Author Topic: Review of the Oykun Hotel  (Read 4271 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Review of the Oykun Hotel
« on: June 30, 2013, 18:33:35 PM »
This may be of interest to those who maybe looking at staying there.

General:
Award winning, well established family run hotel which attracts lots of repeat business. 240 beds in two blocks.
www.oykunhotel.com

Central approximately 100metres from the taxi rank at the dolphinless roundabout.

Guest List:
Vast majority British with a few Germans.

Staff:
Very friendly and very efficient. Appeared to be senior members of staff who ensured everything as it should be. Also, both the owner and his wife keep a keen eye on everything that is going on.

Reception:
Open 24 hours and although we had only one occasion to speak to them they also seems very efficient. Always pleasant. Some English speaking others less so.

Restaurant:
Inside and outside. Always absolutely spotless. Pleasant decor especially the window drapes.

Pool:Two separate pools each catering for one of the blocks but not segregated. Always kept spotless and the water is crystal clear. Surrounding area washed regularly when we were there along with the sun lounger cushions being wiped down.

Bedroom:
Our room was very spacious with a large king sized bed (again much appreciated by the present Mrs H) with loads of circulation space.  Large sofa bed also in the room.

Double wardrobe with top shelf and plenty of space underneath for shoes, handbags etc.;  two bedside cabinets each with one drawer and a another identical unit next to the sofa bed; Vanity unit with large mirror and two drawers complete with stool. Safe in double wardrobe (charged at 15tl per week); fridge available (charged at 30tl per week)

TV, telephone and plenty of sockets. Hair dryer in bathroom next to wash hand basin.

Small sized balcony with two chairs but no table.

Bathroom:
Standard size hair dryer adjacent and separate socket. Mirror with small shelf. Wash hand basin with soap dispenser (with soap). Walk in shower which generally functioned very well but with a dodge sliding door.

Cleaning:
Daily and generally to a very high standard.

Food:
Open buffet breakfast with loads of choice; cornflakes; lots of fruit; variety of bread; cheeses, tomatoes etc; fried, poached or scrambled eggs and omelettes made to order.

Large selection of evening meals all very reasonably priced (we didn't eat there).

Extras:
Wellness Centre and Spa: a Hair Saloon, a Sauna, a Hamam (Turkish Bath), 3 Massage Rooms, a Relaxation Lounge and a Vitamin Bar. Only extra was massages.

Bar Prices:Fully priced menu provided in room. Bar prices reasonable and again prices are in the menu provide.
Bill to be paid daily or as you go

Overall Impression:
Very well run friendly hotel with lots of repeat business. Quite obvious as to why it recieves so many awards.
If you wanted to stay there I would suggest that you book early.

If anyone would like photos feel free to email me

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
Re: Review of the Oykun Hotel
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 19:03:50 PM »
Just 1 question why do you refer to your wife as the "present" Mrs.H. do you have plans to replace her any time soon?  :)

Offline Lotty

Review of the Oykun Hotel
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 19:30:58 PM »
It's a term of endearment.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 19:35:23 PM »
He's probably on his last warning

Online marina

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 19:42:17 PM »
Excellent review Highlander!  We stayed at the Oykun for several years and loved it.  Only reason for us to go somewhere else was that we decided we preferred an apartment rather than B & B.

Would have no hesitation in going back there if we changed our mind again!   :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 20:25:10 PM »
Marina - I agree entirely. Our preference was for an apartment but the flight costs made it a no brainer.

Offline ColinT

• Portsmouth, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 20:29:24 PM »
Shame we missed you.  We're normally skulking round Oykun last 2 weeks in June, but we went elsewhere this year for a change.

Just back from Paphos in Cyprus.  Strange holiday, we had a good time, but the recent financial thing has decimated the place.  In bar street out of 35 bars/restaurants, 30 of them were closed.  Day trip to northern Turkish northern Nicosia was an experience - Fethiye it wasn't!

We will be back in Calis next June - we're always drawn back.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 20:40:20 PM »
Terry Wogan always calls his wife "the present Mrs Wogan"..... It's now a well know expression thanks to Terry.
The Oykun is a great place, but don't try and change your booking to one week once you get there, or you may find a different Oykun...

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 22:00:41 PM »
Hope the present Mrs.H appreciates the humour, if it was me it would be a kick up the proverbial (just a joke, unless somebody takes me too seriously) x

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 22:44:05 PM »
Hope the present Mrs.H appreciates the humour, if it was me it would be a kick up the proverbial (just a joke, unless somebody takes me too seriously) x

echogirl1 - To be perfectly frank, I don't care one iota if Brenda appreciates the humour or not because she only comes on here very ocassional and probably won't find out what I say about her.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf