Author Topic: Visa/ passport validity  (Read 4834 times)

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
Visa/ passport validity
« on: June 11, 2014, 20:40:28 PM »
I'm confused!! We purchased a visa for our daughter for when we travelled out to turkey in April. At that time, her passport was valid for more than six months, ie until 16th December.  We are due to travel back out to turkey on July 22nd and return home on September 1st. My question.....do I need to renew her passport.....as although it will have more than 3 months remaining on it when we come home, it will have slightly less than six months remaining on it when we fly out!! So if I do need to renew the passport...will I then have to buy a new visa!??  As my passport details will have changed!?? Has anybody else out there entered turkey with less than 6 month remaining on their passport.....??. Many thanks

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Visa/ passport validity
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 20:59:59 PM »
If the airline that you're flying out with decide to stick to the letter of the law, she will be refused. On arrival at Passport Control in Turkey, she COULD be refused entry.

Anyone flying to Turkey, and most other countries for that matter, must have a minimum of 6 months validity left on their passport. If they are allowed to fly and are then refused entry, the airline are responsible for their repatriation.

You're bound to get folks telling you that they have, or know of someone that has, entered Turkey with less than 6 months on their passport.

Do you feel lucky?   ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 21:39:40 PM by KKOB »

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 21:36:26 PM »
i would get a new passport less hassle and no worries

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 23:10:32 PM »
Does she need to get a new visa to go with the new passport? I would guess yes as the new passport will have a new No.
Can you get a new visa while an old one is still valid?

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 06:39:09 AM »
If you are going to apply for a new passport, you'd better crack on with it given the current backlog.
I'm sure some people are still getting theirs back quickly but I have several friends who have been waiting quite a while for theirs.....two of them are due to travel on Monday.
Worrying about that is extra stress you don't need!

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 06:39:55 AM »
Yes this is my concern....will a new visa be required if I go ahead with getting a new passport!?? Will I even get the passport in time, after hearing the horror stories on the news just now it seems unlikely....;((.  Also knob, u would be surprised, the travel expert on the news yesterday morning said you can travel anywhere in Europe - except for Turkey , without six months validity....INCLUDING THE USA .....Turkey are living in the dark ages....

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 07:57:13 AM »
I would have thought that if you carried both old & new passports along with the current visa, then you would be ok.

Also, (and this is not a personal dig at anyone in particular), it amazes me that even though you can renew your passport up to nine months before it expires (to my belief, anyway it was the last time I renewed), I cannot remember how many times per year I read about people worrying about not getting their renewed passport back in time for their annual 2 week holiday, planning people, planning!!  :-\

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 17:51:56 PM »
.  Also knob,,,,

Oi !!! It's KKOB, thank you !

Offline peter16

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 19:07:40 PM »
 8) KKOB now has a new alias  :o

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 19:26:25 PM »
If wit was sh........................  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf