Author Topic: E-visa for foreign nationals  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: E-visa for foreign nationals
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 19:02:41 PM »
Only worth it if it works Nick  :)

Offline Marggie

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »
Entering the date when you want the visa to start.       Could this be different to the first day you arrive in Turkey?? My thought being you could have it start on eg  1st January but enter Turkey on 1 April for 90 days then get another one to start on 1 July so you could visit for another 90 days from mid August.  Or is this just wishful thinking?

Lizdev, check out the following link, it appears that you can. The validity period of your e-Visa begins from the date specified in your application. You can enter Turkey on any date within this period.

Print out the page in Turkish in case you need to show to Passport Control.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/do-i-need-to-enter-turkey-on-the-exact-date-specified-in-my-application/

Offline Nick

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 17:55:33 PM »
I have just had this reply from the British Embassy. I asked them if the eVisa was in force and if so why some people are having no problems but others are having to pay again at Dalaman having already paid on-line.

I don't think anyone was aware officially, that it only applies if you fly THY (Turkish Airlines) at the moment. It still doesn't answer why some people have got through and why some haven't.

There is a new e-visa regime for tourists which has been announced by the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It is available for "tourism or trade purposes". We have established that it runs alongside the existing system of a £10 sticker/stamp-type visa which can still be acquired at airports for the foreseeable future. For the time being it is only available for foreigners arriving in Turkey on flights of the Turkish Airlines (THY), the country's state-owned air carrier, in line with a protocol signed between the government and THY.

The system is up and running. It is a little more expensive than the paper visa (US$20 for UK nationals paid by credit card). It is apparently easy to use and has been successfully used by UK nationals.

Apparently the issue on the use of the e-visa to travellers flying with Turkish Airlines applies to certain nationalities only. According to this article UK passport holders face no such restriction

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-launches-revolutionary-e-visa-system-for-citizens-of-94-countries.aspx?pageID=238&nid=45583

Offline Big Dave

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 13:56:30 PM »
This is the latest update about the eVisa from the British Embassy. It seems the British Embassy gave me misleading information.

I understand you were recently in contact with one of my colleagues about the new e-visa regime introduced by the Turkish Government.  I am sorry to say that one part of the advice she gave you was incorrect.  It does not matter what airline British nationals arrive on – the e-visa should be valid. The airline protocol conditions apply only to certain other nationalities listed on the e-visa website. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I was concerned to read in your email to my colleague, that some travellers are having trouble using the e-visa.  The feedback we have received, including by people travelling through Dalaman, is that the system is working and they have successfully been through the immigration facilities with an e-visa.  We will shortly be publishing our quarterly Embassy newsletter (you can sign up by emailing UKTurkey.Newsletter@fco.gov.uk) and I have included an article about the e-visa, reproduced below, asking for feedback on people’s experience of the new system.

I hope this information is of use.

E-visas for tourists and business visitors to Turkey

On 24 April 2013 the Turkish government formally launched a new online system for applying for and receiving visas for Turkey.  In the first week of operation, more than 5,300 e-visas had been processed.  According to the Turkish MFA, of the 30 million visitors to Turkey each year, 10 million received their visas on arrival.  This is the target audience for the e-visa.  By enabling people to apply for and receive their visa before they travel, visitors will no longer have to queue for a visa on arrival.  The eligibility criteria for the visa have not changed, only the delivery method.  One advantage for travellers is that they will know in advance if there is going to be a problem with their visa and have the opportunity to resolve this with the Turkish Embassy in London before travel.

We have been informed that this system will be made compulsory in 3-4 months and the visa-on-arrival service will be withdrawn. So please tell family, friends and other contacts to check before they travel and encourage them to use the new system if they can.

The practicalities of applying for and receiving the visa are fairly straightforward.  The website is currently available in English and Turkish although other languages will follow.  There is a contact form on the website and replies should be received within 24hrs.  Fees are payable by Mastercard or Visa credit or debit cards. The visa cost remains the same (£10 for UK nationals) although credit card payments attract an additional charge.  The Turkish government plans to introduce kiosks at airports, travel agents and airline offices where applications can be made.  Travel Agents or other third parties can apply on an individual’s behalf as long as they have all the relevant information.

Although this is a Turkish government system, we would welcome comments on how this system is working for British travellers to Turkey.  You can send feedback to britembcon@fco.gov.uk

Offline lizdev

E-visa for foreign nationals
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 16:17:37 PM »
Entering the date when you want the visa to start.       Could this be different to the first day you arrive in Turkey?? My thought being you could have it start on eg  1st January but enter Turkey on 1 April for 90 days then get another one to start on 1 July so you could visit for another 90 days from mid August.  Or is this just wishful thinking?

Lizdev, check out the following link, it appears that you can. The validity period of your e-Visa begins from the date specified in your application. You can enter Turkey on any date within this period.

Print out the page in Turkish in case you need to show to Passport Control.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/do-i-need-to-enter-turkey-on-the-exact-date-specified-in-my-application/
Thanks Marggie that's good news for us

Offline Eric

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 22:20:01 PM »
These are the quotes I love;

'We have been informed that this system will be made compulsory in 3-4 months and the visa-on-arrival service will be withdrawn. So please tell family, friends and other contacts to check before they travel and encourage them to use the new system if they can.
'

'The Turkish government plans to introduce kiosks at airports, travel agents and airline offices where applications can be made."

So you arrive at Dalaman with no visa, you then go to a kiosk to get one online from the country you are now standing in! You can bet your life on there being only one kiosk open in the middle of July!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 22:28:55 PM »
Or the one visa official standing smiling at you waving a telecom plug on the end of the cable, which leads to the back of the kiosk. like they do in restaurants when you offer a credit card for payment   :)

Where do the Turkish government expect to find Travel Agents to put a kiosk in? I can't think of a single place. Maybe Lama Travel in Fethiye could have a visa terminal. Except of course you won't be allowed entry, let alone to go to Paspatur.

The other option is for the Turkish Government to pay to install, pay a rental and to keep them running at Heathrow, Gatwick, Schipol, Frankfurt etc. Can't see that happening either for some reason :D

Offline IanK

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »
Its just a sign of the times - a similar system for the Visa Waivers has been operating in the USA for the last couple of years. You now have to buy a visa online (it used to be free when you filled in a card on arrival).

Ian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf