Author Topic: Peacocks  (Read 12559 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Peacocks
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 21:32:47 PM »
I can fight my own corner thanks.

Offline Stan

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 21:34:35 PM »
Go for it then !

Offline TimJon

• Looking forward to ..............
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 21:39:02 PM »
Scunner,

I too have great respect for KKOB and his contributions to the forum.

What I have a problem with is the iteration of sweeping statements without referencing them. Please KKOB and others, it is my way. I see something , I speak. I come from an academic background where to reach a conclusion all things have to be considered. I asked what I thought was a simple question to which there should have been a simple answer, I asked for information in a non acedemic manner.Normally I would disseminate it and respond, vis a vis "are these birds being abused?" answer yes or no. seems it is not that easy. I think maybe I should retire to academia where answers are not so forthcoming without much more rigorous examination.

TimJon

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 21:42:30 PM »
What I have a problem with is the iteration of sweeping statements without referencing them.

~

I think maybe I should retire to academia where answers are not so forthcoming without much more rigorous examination.

TimJon

I think maybe you are right, public discussion forums certainly don't seem to suit you, based on your contributions (14) to date.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 21:46:58 PM »
Sorry TimJon, but if you want chapter and verse answers to every question, then you're going to be very disappointed. I'm obviously not as academically qualified as yourself so, in order to cut out the waffle, I tend to be short and to the point with many of my replies. I haven't spent my life taking photographs and noting the dates and times of various events in order to provide the likes of you with references and hard evidence for your "rigorous examination". 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 21:48:49 PM »
It would be very boring too :D

Offline TimJon

• Looking forward to ..............
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 21:50:14 PM »
Scunner,

You may be correct, however, does this mean that my original question regarding the situation of those birds is now irrelevant?

TJ

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 21:52:12 PM »
You're the academic, you tell me.

Offline farmer

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
TimJon.  I have read the original post and subsequent posts by you on this topic, and subjected them to “rigorous examination”.
It seems you hoped someone “who does know” could report back on whether the cage in which these birds were of a suitable size. You are correct that no one has directly addressed your concerns.
You just might have got the information you requested if you had  supported your concerns by providing “evidence” available to you enough times (your words) by taking suitable photographs – or perhaps you could not be bothered.
TimJon. Your later posts degenerate into sesquipedalian statements of your academic rigour and have nothing to do with eliciting information. If you wish me to list your many typographical and grammatical errors in your posts I will be happy to do so.
Meanwhile should you decide to retire to academia may I assist you to improve your written communication skills? The following tips given to students may be useful to you.

TIPS TO IMPROVE WRITING
  Tips to Improve Writing Skills
1.      Begin by brainstorming all possible things you want to say about your topic.
2.     Write a simple outline. This will help organize your thoughts. You may not feel that you have time, but taking 5 minutes to organize your thoughts is a good investment in time.
3.      Don’t use words you don’t understand.
4.      Get to the point. Using more words than you need is a waste of your time and your professor’s time.
5.      Keep it simple – If you don’t understand what you have written, how can you expect your professor to understand?
6.      Explain who, what, why, when and where using the most direct language possible.
7.      Use Spell Check. Double-check your writing for common spelling and punctuation errors.
8.      Stop writing, occasionally, and read it out loud. Read it to a partner. Many writing errors can be corrected simply by reading your work out loud.
9.      Edit your writing. Add words that bring more meaning to what you have written. Delete words that do not add meaning.
10.  The most important thing you can do to improve your writing is to practice, practice, and practice.
If you think these tips look familiar, you would be right.
Source:  The Writing Centre, Nizwa University, Sultanate of Oman.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »
We don't see words like sesquipedalian often enough on CBF.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf