Author Topic: Quick review of holiday 31 May -13 June  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Steve A

Quick review of holiday 31 May -13 June
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
Stayed in Sunset apt’s next to Letoon,first time we have stayed at this end and really enjoyed the location.The least said about the apt the better it was old,shabby,tired and scruffy.
We cycled a lot and hired a car,as we were with friends who are regulars we each ended up going to places we hadn’t before.
Gocek,nice walk along the marina,still doesn’t really impress me I prefer Fethiye.
Inilice public beach,10 lira to park the car and stay as long as you like.Beautiful little cove,very clean,very quiet,plenty of sun beds,showers,changing facilities and a nice little cafe.Really enjoyed it but very hot and no Efes at the cafe.
Kargı Yoruk kahvalti At museum/ donkey “sanctuary “- great breakfast,very cheap,great location,museum very weird and not sure how cared for the donkies are.
Karatas beach ,one of our favourite beaches and great little restaurant Deniz Incise.
Givens,first timers ,food okay but a little scruffy and tired for us.
Opens,again first timers and ate there four times.Great food,great staff,very clean and reasonably priced.This is now one of our favourites.
Aroma Beach Club,gets bigger every year .Food okay,staff nice,location great but service hit and miss.
Lukka Bar,great little bar only does snacks,don’t bother get a bag of crisps.
Merhaba bar,expat zone ,steer clear when Gordon is “singin” it is the worst entertainment I’ve ever seen.
Lees bar,expat but has nice vibe and great views.
Calis Beach Indian,one of our favourites and they didn’t disappoint this year,consistently good food and service from great guys Hulki and Ahmet.
Cafe Soul,average food,good service and a little pricey in comparison.
Casa de mama,food great but sorry to see they are trying Entertainment which is worse than Gordon at Merhaba.This consisted of waiters in drag miming,jumping on tables and suggestive dancing.I think they have really spoiled this place.But if you get in and out before ten you can still have a great meal.
Bambu,first time for us and had two great Friday nights in there due to the band Funkyfonics.Food average.
Charcoal Palace,sublime food ,great family run place and gets better each year.
Joseph’s Bar,still a lovely laid back bar.
New Meri Bar,really nice decor maybe the best in Calis and as a,ways great music.Good mix of expats,tourists and locals.
Aydin Pide,still a favourite when Cem is on form and doing the cooking which he was on the night we went.
Calis Boat trip with Charlas on his boat Samual,best food ever and missus A thought the Captain was great eye candy.
Fethiye we still love and wandered about as usual.Looks very classy whilst retaining its quaint feeling.
Had to visit the shipyard at Karagözler again as I come from a shipbuilding background it fascinates me,so plenty photos.
Fish Market,haven’t been for years and it will be years before I go back as it’s just not my thing.I understand why people do it,we went to Receps ,the meze were lovely but they can’t cook a steak!
The rest of the party enjoyed their fish (I don’t eat fish)and it was a friends birthday.But in comparison I think they will eventually price themselves out of the market.
Calis Beach Looking really nice,the beach is cleaner,it was busy when we were there and owners seemed happy with the apparent upturn in trade.
The exchange rate was brilliant which helps.
Role on September

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Quick review of holiday 31 May -13 June
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »
Great review Steve A - thanks for taking the time to post   :)

Offline Steve A

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »
Forgot to mention Babzen Kebab,lovely place,very stylish looking and reasonably priced.Good food

Offline Taddy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »
We arrive in Calis on Friday night, so thanks for your up to date reviews here. 
We will be looking for restaurants to have a relaxing meal, but with the football on and places offering 'entertainment'  we will tread carefully.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 14:39:11 PM »
Great review and very helpful - thanks! 

Offline Ally B

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 14:56:43 PM »
Can't believe our paths did'nt cross. We were in Sunset apts. from the end of April until tenth of June and went to many of the places you did.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 20:14:56 PM »
Great review Steve - thanks.

I have provisionally booked the first three weeks in September in a villa at Sunset Beach. 

I usually book the same apartment in Fethiye through Joy Lettings (they have been exemplary for many years) but cannot make the four flights of stairs to the front door!

Again, through Joy Lettings, I have booked a 5 bed villa and I will hire an electric scooter to get to Calis "proper" and the ferry etc.

It will be my first time at Sunset Beach and I am reasonably confident that the accommodation will be Joy Lettings' usual high standard.

What's the rest of the place like? Bar? Cafe?

Your input (and that of others who have stayed there) most welcome......

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 22:00:04 PM »
Different place I think - Sunset beach / Sunset Apartments ?

Offline marina

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 22:06:38 PM »
Yes you are right Bluwise. We stayed in sunset apts last year. They are right at the end of the prom, sunset beach further on from there.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 22:59:58 PM »
Stuart we were Sunset apt’s not Sunset Beach so hopefully your accommodation will be better than outs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf