Author Topic: A Comparison  (Read 6222 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 21:22:07 PM »
I can't find any info on Brazilian Ruby - other than the feathered variety. Good luck with your search for a value.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
A Comparison
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 22:51:55 PM »
Highlander. I take it that you did not take the ring to the Inverness jeweller to sell nor did you tell him the source. If this is the case then what would be the motive of the Inverness jeweller to undervalue it.[?] [?]
Ken  8)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 06:56:08 AM »
Firstly, thanks for all the interest and support. Having talked to Mrs H, I may have got the "Brazilian" bit totally wrong. Have e-mailed Zeke for confirmation of the stone and will let you all know the outcome.

Thanks again

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 07:10:52 AM »
Thank goodness for that! I googled it and came up with a link to a rather large lady called Ruby who insists she is Brazilian and offers some sort of service - but you really don't want to know!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 12:36:56 PM »
Oh dear, it's hands up time I'm afraid.

I have been in touch with Zeke who confirms that the stone is NOT a ruby. Quite where we got that idea that it was a ruby, far less a Brazilian one, remains a mystery (we attach absolutely no blame to Zeke for this mistake by the way)

I have been back to the Inverness jeweler to offer my apologies which he graciously accepted with a firm handshake.

He explained that the reason he asked what we had paid, was that he has had numerous examples of people coming to him for valuations who had been ripped off by unscrupulous people. He didn't say where or not these "sharks" were British or foreigners.

The next time I want to buy one of these    perhaps I should go to and aviary.

Ah well, the man who never made a mistake etc etc.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:41:15 PM by Highlander »

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 12:40:23 PM »
You were man enough to go back and apologise Well done H
p.s I would have started shopping in Aberdeen. :-\

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 12:46:44 PM »
 :) Highlander your honesty & integrity, demonstrate what a wonderful gentleman you truly are  :)

Takes a bigger man to admit a mistake [^] :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 13:02:24 PM »
Highlander
Do you now know what the stone is? A number of gemstone websites describe "Brazilian ruby" as an unofficial/slang/false name for a pink or rose topaz.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
A Comparison
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 14:56:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by loz

I love gems, now I dont have chance to wear them, (dont go well on a beach).    
I really hope that i too am proven wrong.  Brazilan Ruby, if this is what the guy sold it to you as then he is not lying, that is the name given to the Red (pink/cherry pink) topaz or fire type opals, it is very distinctive in colour, the opal should not reflect any flashes of colour bar the main one. the red (pink) topaz should have a clean cut and clarity.  To the trained eye the difference is very obvious, but both stones lend themselves to be faceted.

but good luck in your quest.

I did not mean any animosity by my prev post. but diamonds (or gems in this case) are a girls best friend.. :D  I have a range of them and now after this thread I am back on the collecting trail, shhhh dont tell you know who: :) ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
A Comparison
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 19:13:35 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

Highlander
Do you now know what the stone is? A number of gemstone websites describe "Brazilian ruby" as an unofficial/slang/false name for a pink or rose topaz.

Zeke tells us its a garnet although Mrs H maintains that someone in the shop did say it was a ruby. Its all very mysterious because we  trust Zeke implicitly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf