Author Topic: 2008 Season  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
2008 Season
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:55:13 AM »
Yes, I have read a lot about Turkey in the press recently, lots of people going, but all the press is for the usual places, Bodrum, Sade,Marmaris etc.,   I have yet to read about Calis or Fethiye.  We have been using Scot Travel, a Glasgow Company, who fly from Aberdeen.  Last month on travelling out we got into conversation with some of the passengers it was sad to see them all going to Marmaris, in fact, no one we spoke to had heard of Fethiye and were really surprised it was so close to the Airport, most of the passengers where facing a 2 1/2 hour bus trip to their hotels in Marmaris.  
How do we expect to get tourists to Calis without there being some advertising?   We were speaking to a shop keeper in Fethiye who told us that a lot of the local businesses where really fed up with their local council not spending any money on advertising, and were lobbying to get some.
Jacqui.

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
2008 Season
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

According to Coop Travel Turkey has overtaken Spain this year as the Brits favourite holiday destination. Mainly due to the increasing Euro.

On a diffeent subject Stoop, I have sent you a PM which may be of interest to you as a leeds fan

Offline bee

• Droylsden, Manchester, UK
2008 Season
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »
Hi all, I am glad to here about turkey being one of the top destinations, so it should be, But I have to say I am glad to hear calis is not over advertised, and let the people who prefer marmaris keep going to marmaris, I have come across enough of them on the flights, I was going to say the shell suit brigade but I don,t think they wear them any more I am not a snob and any one who knows me will tell you that,but I am so glad the people I mean are not interested in calis.Bee

Offline jasmine07

2008 Season
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 12:56:44 PM »
I agree with you, Bee. Much as i want calis to flourish i'd rather the unsavoury tourist continued going to spain. (I'm not a snob by any stretch of the imagination) :)

Offline hydeaway

2008 Season
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 13:57:18 PM »
I agree Bee keep the hoodies out of Calis.

Mr bucket lol

Offline tamd

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 13:59:56 PM »
Changing the subject slightly, I've already booked my holiday in Calis for next year at not much more than this September, but looking on the First Choice web site today, if I were booking today the two weeks would be costing over £1100 when we normally pay around £750.  If this is a sign of things to come, I fear there will be less people there in 2009!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
2008 Season
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 14:06:51 PM »
"Let the people who go to Marmaris keep going there" How can we categorise people in this way? If a person goes to a travel agent and is given Marmaris as a destination, does the travel agent only give them this destination if they wear a shell suit? Of course not, lots of people go to Marmaris because it gets so much publicity, given the option they might just like to try Calis, which can only be good for the local economy.    I have a friend who went to Marmaris and told me he hated Turkey and would not go back, so he had the "Marmaris" experience, and got the wrong impression of Turkey.

Perhaps people who travel from Manchester Airport  wear shell suits and are not desirable. I would not know I live in Aberdeenshire, which is the Oil Capital of Europe. Aberdeenshire, the only place in the U.K. that has not suffered a downturn in house prices. Aberdeenshire which is the second most expensive place to buy a house in the U.K. The people on my flight going to Marmaris numbered quite a lot of Oil Executives and Professional people. One couple we spoke to had been on a round the world cruise the year before, and were taking a break in Turkey before their next cruise. These are the sort of people we want in Calis, people with disposable incomes who will come and enjoy Calis and tell their friends about it. I would welcome more of the right sort of tourists to the area for the sake of the Turkish people who are trying to make a living in the tourist industry.
Jacqui

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
2008 Season
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 14:27:41 PM »
Well Jacqui I think you answered your own question to a degree. How can you categorise people in this way? You can, because your friend went to Marmaris and decided he hated Turkey. I for one, and I know many others, play the game "Who's going to Marmaris" as we wait outside Dalaman Airport arrivals.

I'm no snob either, but we're generally right  ;)

Everyone knows Marmaris, it was the only resort in Turkey I'd heard of once. It DOES give a lot of people the wrong idea about Turkey and I know many who came to Turkey, to Marmaris, and vowed never to return to Turkey. Those who (luckily?) find Fethiye instead tend to be like us, can't wait to get back here again.

Who is promoting Fethiye? Who is actively investing in bringing people to here, rather than Marmaris, Antalya or Bodrum? I'll tell you...NOBODY.

Offline frezya

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 15:44:38 PM »
just tried booking to come back to Calis later in Septmeber at Thomas Cook's and the woman told me "it will be difficult as not many companies go there now", needless to say she found some very overpriced  bookings available, but have managed to get something better.
So it may be very quiet next year.

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
2008 Season
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 16:05:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Well Jacqui I think you answered your own question to a degree. How can you categorise people in this way? You can, because your friend went to Marmaris and decided he hated Turkey. I for one, and I know many others, play the game "Who's going to Marmaris" as we wait outside Dalaman Airport arrivals.

I'm no snob either, but we're generally right  ;)

We play that game too, we call it 'Spot the scratter'. We spot people in the queues for check in and try and look at their luggage labels to confirm that their destination is where we think! We've never guessed wrong yet! :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf