Author Topic: 'Scuse me, I thought this was Calis Seafront  (Read 13327 times)

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Re: 'Scuse me, I thought this was Calis Seafront
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »
the rickshaws were fab! really handy and especially for people with limited mobility - they were a real bonus!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 12:39:43 PM »
Some may look down their nose at them, but I have thought for years that Fethiye Bay is made for a little resort road train system like this:

#

There could be two or three of them running the entire length of the bay from Telmessos/Koca Calis Beach all the way to Letoonia and back, all day every day. With the improving promenade and access it would get better and better. One lira to hop on anywhere and hop off anywhere - it would be a fantastic way to lazily get to your destination, and would make a fortune.

The problem is, the taxis, dolmus drivers and boat koop will never let it happen.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 12:44:12 PM »
They had these in Marmaris and Icmeler 10 years ago when I went. great fun with little kids in tow. but as said above can't see the dolmus & taxi drivers being charmed.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
Yeah Paul that's why I said it :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 13:48:38 PM »
Some enterprising business man/woman should start a rickshaw service, but just around Calis to take peope to and from their Hotels etc.,  Instead of all these business people just opening another shop or restaurant.   I don't think a few rickshaws would harm the dolmus or taxi business.
We have used the rickshaws in New York, which are all lined up when the theatres come out at night. It does not seem to bother the taxi drivers much, as they know the rickshaws only do short trips.
We all know that the taxi drivers don't want short journeys and prefer longer trips.

Offline maximumtom

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 18:44:55 PM »
It seems to be the norm in the UK at the moment that , if some people misuse a resourse, there are people who cry out to ban everyone. Most of the time on the proms in Calis and Fethiye, cyclists and pedestrians weave in and out of one another, each respecting the other. The odd scooter usually proceeds with caution. Of course there are exceptions; but this should be a matter for education. If you force all the cyclists etc onto the roads, there are likely to be fatalities ( especially in Turkey); balance this against the 'possibility' of an accident on the prom and I know where I would have wanted my children to cycle.
Let me throw in a little thought. Many motorists misuse roads, often killing people, so should we ban all motorists from roads. We know that too much speed kills; should we then reduce the speed limit to 4 mph ? If not, we are accepting a certain amount of carnage on our roads as a necessary evil of modern life; the spped limit being set at a figure that gives an 'acceptable' amount of carnage.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
'Scuse me, I thought this was Calis Seafront
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 19:04:55 PM »
But it's not a road, it's a promenade so your question surely isn't relevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Offline jrichards1

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 19:18:39 PM »
"We all know that the taxi drivers don't want short journeys and prefer longer trips."

My husband is a London black Taxi driver working nights. None of the Taxi drivers he knows prefer long journeys unless it happens to be a lucky fare and its in the direction of home after their shift.

Otherwise they have to almost certainly drive back empty and it takes them out of the game. They get back and its all over.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 19:39:52 PM »
Yes my cousin is a black cab driver in London too. The situation in London is not the same as Calis or even Aberdeen or perhaps N.Y.  We stopped a cab in N.Y and were asked where we wanted to go and when we told the guy he said no, the journey was too short, he just drove on.  Same thing has happened to us in Aberdeen too.  We were starting to panic as we where refused by three cabs.  So, situation around the world can be different from London.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 19:43:39 PM »
Some enterprising business man/woman should start a rickshaw service

There was a guy, perhaps about five years ago, who a trike thing and worked the prom.

He took us back to Letoon one night and asked for 10 lira. He wasn't happy when he didn't get a tip.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf