Author Topic: Tripadvisor - do you believe half of the reviews?  (Read 12398 times)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Re: Tripadvisor - do you believe half of the reviews?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2016, 22:16:14 PM »
I do read as many reviews on different sites if Im going to a place I've never been too. I also write reviews on Trip Advisor and Booking.com. I try to keep them balanced and as honest as I can be.

Offline Lynn25

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 14:10:12 PM »
After last years disastrous holiday in Majorca (a very tough decision to try somewhere different from Calis) taken after reading glowing Trip Advisor reviews I will now take them all with a pinch of salt!! The apparently 'family run' hotel with excellent service and friendly staff was the worst, dirtiest most unfriendly place I have ever stayed and literally made hubby so ill! It's amazing how differently people see places. It's put us off trying anywhere else and we are back in Calis on Tuesday. Can't wait.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2016, 14:20:15 PM »
I don't think there are many hotels that you couldn't put a negative review on about if you wanted to. It's not all about quality - expectation and value for money are huge factors too.

Offline John H

• Hamilton, Lanarkshire, UK
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2016, 14:53:28 PM »
I like,occasionally,to preview a visit to an area ,a specific hotel or attraction and use, and contribute to,
Tripadvisor.
Usually I just take my chances and go or go in because I like the look of the place.
There is always the option to contact a contributer on Tripadvisor and put specific questions to them about an area or premises they commented on.
I have done this a few times and also had people contact me looking for further information on my posts.
I would never rely entirely on anyone's opinion posted on Tripadvisor or anything similar.
Overall this has worked for me but I have still managed,occasionally,to end up in an area,bar,restaurant or hotel which did not suit me.
The responses I have had have always been reasonable and,I think, honest.
On the few occasions that I felt that things were 'bad' I told the management and depending on their response either gave them another chance or never went back.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 14:39:21 PM »
We recently had a holiday in Portugal. One local restaurant was given a 1 Grade ("Terrible"} by a reviewer. His reason for this?

"I ordered scallops and received some kind of pork cutlet. My fault for ordering scallops that were listed under the meat section but someone should probably at least try to check the translation of the menu. Apparently escalope means cutlet."

Some people aren't fit to be allowed out without a minder.

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 20:16:33 PM »
I occasionally have a look at TripAdvisor just to see what people think of places we have visited and see if they are realistic. I find they are usually agreement with what I thought. I can honestly say that the review of Tanyas of Bodmin Services is dead accurate. It is a place that is so surreal the ratings are nearly 100% terrible.! I went on to TripAdvisor to see if it was on there as I was so shaken by my experience there whilst visiting with my grandson. Somebody wrote "Avoid like the plague unless you want to catch it!"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf