Author Topic: The Repair Shop BBC1  (Read 9093 times)

Offline scorcher

Re: The Repair Shop BBC1
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
Mr Google has the answer!

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 19:51:05 PM »
I watched a few of these on catch up last night.
I like some of the restoration type programs but this one is only watchable with the remote in hand to fast forward the sob stories of how someones great great great grandfather used it in the war etc.
The restorations can be interesting but its not a patch on American Restoration IMHO.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 21:22:49 PM »
Tough crowd on this thread   :)

Offline hornedfrog

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 08:35:23 AM »
My favourite of these type programmes is Wheeler Dealers when Edd China was involved.

Mike Brewer "does the deal" and poor Edd ended up doing all the work, but at the end, there's no mention at all of the labour fees that would have been payable for Edd's repair work. We watch Mike tot up all the costs of purchases on the screen but old muggins Edd doesn't get a mention (although the latter programmes did start to mention the number of hours of labour) and at the end, Mike celebrates a £300 profit which if adding in Edd's labour costs, would likely be a £2,000 loss.

Love Edd...Mike, not so much.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 19:12:00 PM »
I've watched them all Hornedfrog some a few times over. Funny how Ed China just happens to have a machine to check this or that which no normal garage would have. They then made the program suitable for the American market by pricing the repairs in dollars. Not a great fan of Mike Brewer but Ed was great.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 19:47:09 PM »
The homepage to Edd's own website is worth reading. It gives an insight into how Wheeler Dealers was made. As he says, it's not just him and Mike that make the programmes. They've got a huge team behind them.

https://www.greasejunkie.com/

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 23:07:39 PM »
My personal hate is Dickinson's Real Deal :D

He seems vaguely ok but surely with the entire UK antiques industry to select from, they could come up with some "experts" with a tiny piece of personality. They are all so dull, but try to be memorable with poor, overscripted one liners, stupid ponytails and mad hair - and the worst narrator ever, trying to be the bloke from Come Dine With Me and falling a million miles short.

Other than that I quite like it.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2019, 15:27:43 PM »
Stephen Fry called it the ‘best show on TV’ and Kathy Burke can’t hold back the tears. Jay Blades and his team of fixers on becoming the comfort TV smash of 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/dec/26/the-repair-shop-we-can-fix-anything-but-a-broken-heart-and-brexit

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2019, 10:35:26 AM »
Being an engineer by trade, I absolutely love this programme. Have to admit though as soon as those 2 women with the sewing needles start restoring a 500 year old teddy who is basically a piece of straw, I lose the will to live. It has to be a real restoration that makes something electrical or mechanical work again after being left in a loft for many years.  ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »
Totally agree re the bears chris35

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf