Author Topic: This brings home what it was like in the Trenches..what happened to him?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
I thought I would share this, as it is really relevant at this present time.
I got this postcard through my business about 10 years ago.  I have always keep in in a sleeve as it is fragile but the pencil written message is  so sad to read.   I often look at it and hope he made it, as when it was written he had two years left   It is something I will always keep and pass down to my Granddaughter.
In case you cannot make out the writing this is what it says...  I have copied it exactly.
------------------------------------
 25/2/16
In the Field.
Dear Father & Mother
Received your letter of 21st inst. glad to hear that you are all well.  We are having a snow storm here just now & it is terrible cold in the Trenches, but I am glad to inform you that I am sticking it well although wishing that it was all over & I back to dear old Scotland. bye bye with Love to all there.
Your loving Son
John McBain.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
A very touching keepsake, I have a similar card depicting troops boarding a steamship off to war.Little did they know.
Some years ago I was in Cork tracing my Irish roots and I found the disused Barracks where my father had been based
and the jetty where he boarded a ship off to WW2.
By chance I got talking to an elderly local gent and was amazed to find out my Grandfather, a Captain in the Royal Munster
Fusiliers had sailed from the same jetty off to WW1.

I think the events worldwide yesterday were a very fitting way to remember all those sacrifices. Such a waste of young lives.

b

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Jacqui, that brought a lump to my throat. Wonder if he did make it home?  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Toky, I cannot read it without a lump in my throat and I have read it many times.

Offline patrice

So heartfelt  Jackie

Kevin3 amazing story of your grandfather .Was this at Cobn Cork ?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
patrice
 It was Fort Carlisle on the eastern side of the estuary, about 2 miles from Roaches Point Lighthouse.
My mom was born in a cottage in Rostellan, about 5 miles from the Barracks, and all the local kids used
wave to the people on passenger ships sailing up into Cork.
I traced lots of relatives and associated information, mainly through the churches. Another two chance
meetings with elderly residents in Limerick provided me with so much information that it seemed that
it was meant to happen. Two minutes either way and I would never have met them.
It's a lovely part of the world, lovely people with a lovely outlook on life.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf