Author Topic: Doctor refuses to treat 88 year old woman because he is not trained in first aid  (Read 881 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
This story seems like a joke, but it's not and it makes me wonder what is happening in our caring society.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2769368/Pensioner-90-falls-cuts-head-outside-doctors-surgery-GP-does-not-help-not-trained-First-Aid.html

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
It's the fear of not knowing what to do and of being sued.

Surprisingly enough GPs aren't trained as First Aiders. I was on an Emergency First Aiders course last week and the tutor was telling us that she often has GPs on her courses because they're not taught First Aid during their training in hospitals.

Many countries have a Good Samaritan Law which makes it a duty to give help or rescue and, provided that the "Good Samaritan" does their best, they cannot be sued for wrongful action. This law doesn't exist in England as such, but in Scottish Criminal Law a special defence can apply when a stranger altruistically helps another in distress. So long as the requirements of the rescue are met, proportionality etc, then the "rescuer" has no liability.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
I agree with KKOB.
A friend of ours who is a paramedic in Scotland is out here at the moment and someone where they are staying needed a doctor. (Fortunately not for an emergency situation.)
Another friend suggested he could look at her and advise instead of calling someone out but he just can't take the risk.
In the current culture of compensation claims, he would only make himself known on situations such as on a plane where someone was taken ill - the pilot announcement of "Is there a medic on board?" type thing.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Yes I also trained as a First Aider, the person who trained us was a retired Doctor from Shetland.
However, putting aside H.&.S.  Where is human compassion. An 88 year old woman lies on the pavement outside your office for 35 minutes, you even refuse her a blanket. I would hope a lot of Doctors would look to the oath they made and go and help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf