Author Topic: Watch this wonderful advert featuring WW1 and don't have a tear in your eye.  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
This is such a good Christmas Advert and kicks all the others into touch.   
It is so sad and shows how pointless war is and how people are all the same around the world.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/sainsburys-trenchesbased-christmas-advert-is-like-a-4minute-f-you-to-john-lewis-9857588.html

Offline Marggie

We have just been out for lunch, on the next table was an elderly man with his daughter. She was telling him about this advert and saying how much he would like it.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Very nicely produced ad; made with help from the Royal British Legion which I hope got a very good donation from it. It is a pity that the Independent sought to demean the story with an inappropriate headline.

Offline scorcher

Agreed - cheap approach.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Don't care what the Independant headlines say.  It is the advert that matters and I would not take anything away from that.  It will bring home what this war was about to a lot of the younger generation, which is a good thing.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
It will bring home what this war was about to a lot of the younger generation,,,,,

How ?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
I show it to my son today.  Then we started to explain to him about the trenches and the conditions. He was amazed when we said the guys where standing in water all the time. I told him of a lady I once knew whose Father had joined up at 15 years old and lied about his age.  He was gassed and wounded.  My son took it all in and said what brave men they all were.  I had the feeling he was quite touched by the advert.
 Learning in school is not the same as seeing something like this. So hopefully, a lot more younger people will know what we know when they watch this advert.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
The ad seems to have provoked a large hostile reaction as well as positive responses. BBC Radio 5 is devoting an entire hour to discussing it. Many listeners are extremely angry. One of the few contributions that I found useful taught me something that perhaps I should have known but didn't. In Chistmas 1914 most of the British Army was composed of battle hardened professional soldiers. In addition, some Territorials were there. But very few of the "young men" depicted were conscripts; they came later in the war when the professional soldiers had been wiped out. Among these professional soldiers, who had served around the world, a Christmas "stand-down" was quite usual. There was a tradition of officers reversing roles and serving a Christmas meal to the other ranks. High Command was well aware of this and was concerned enough about fraternizing between the opposing troops on Christmas that they had issued warnings to commanders to try to prevent it. I see the events of that in a rather different way now knowing this.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Many viewers have reacted angrily to the new Sainsbury’s Christmas advert - released just 36 hours ago - for its 'cynical' use of First World War imagery to promote the supermarket's brand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2834465/Watchdog-primed-investigate-Sainsbury-s-Christmas-advert-complaints-flood-use-WWI-imagery-promote-company.html

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green

OMG time some people got  a life.
It's a shame that a really great advert has to be argued over and picked to pieces by some people.  Why does this advert have to be analysed and criticised? Why does it have to be historically correct in every detail?   Who cares the age of the men in the advert?   This terrible war happened and this lovely advert brings home a very poignant message to us all at. The message is, Christmas, peace to all men  and is particularly relevant when men are still being killed in wars going on at this moment.     
We all know that WW1 took away a whole generation of men on both sides and this advert makes us remember them.
Sainsbury's paid for a 4 minute advert and 5,000 of the chocolate bars in the advert are being sold every hour and money donated to the Royal British Legion.  Good on Sainsbury's why not just leave it at that
Personally, I love the advert.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf