Author Topic: Turkish Citizenship  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Nikos

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 13:12:35 PM »
My wife has dual nationality...

quote:
Originally posted by KayaKoyuOldBoy

The official line is that although the UK government doesn't have a problem with people holding dual nationality, the Turkish government has banned it. When you take out Turkish citizenship you must relinquish your other passport and nationality.

Failure to do so can result in a huge fine.

Apparently, the maximum fine currently stands at about 20 (yes, twenty )YTL! LOL

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Turkish Citizenship
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 13:52:47 PM »
Good for her, but it doesn't change anything !

There's also a law that says drivers and passengers of 2 wheeled motor vehicles in Turkey must wear a crash-helmet.

However, someday, someone, will come unstuck, because ignoring a law doesn't make it legal.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 13:58:33 PM by KKOB »

Offline hoops man

Turkish Citizenship
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 11:11:06 AM »
if thats the case why dont they ask for you to relinquish your British passport on gaining your new Turkish passport?Sounds like something is amiss!!!i know there are lots of Turkish laws not adhered to but this is passports we are talking about.The implications are massive!!i will further investigate this and get back.Cheers

Ron

Offline LISANN

Turkish Citizenship
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 19:33:41 PM »
is turkish citizenship getting your kimlik? is it 3 years before you can apply for one if your married to a turk? do you have to have residence aswell or not?

Offline hoops man

Turkish Citizenship
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 11:01:40 AM »
Yes but you get a turkish passport.A women must be married to a turkish national for at least 3 years.A man needs to be married to a turkish national for 5 years.Yes 5 years.Thought this was a mans worlds as well!!!Man or women you must take the oral test which is very difficult unless your turkish is excellent.Not average as has been mentioned.

Offline wickwilly

Turkish Citizenship
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 21:44:57 PM »
Hoops man. Are you sure that a man has to be married for 5 years before he can apply for Turkish nationality. When I applied that was not the case. If you are not married to a turkish national you can apply after 5 years residency. If you are married to a Turkish national then it is 3 years for either men or women.The oral exam is not that difficult, just basic questions which should be able to be answered after 3 years residency!!

WEW

Offline Nicnic

Turkish Citizenship
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 10:51:28 AM »
Basicly the exam is talking about yourself i will be going for mine in a few months i have lived here for just over 4 years now. My turkish is pretty good but having a few lessons with a turkish lady who lived in the uk for 12 years so she is pretty good, just learning the grammer things. But my turkish partner says i wont have any problem. But sorry to say as far as given up your english passport i would never do and you dont have to do it anyhow.

Offline sunnyd

Turkish Citizenship
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 12:43:24 PM »
I married 6 years ago, at the time of all paperwork i was asked by the consulate in Izmir, if i was taking Turkish nationality alone OR did i want to take dual nationlity, i took dual nationality.
I was then told, by the person who was going to marry us, that i had to forfeit my British nationality, i couldn't be a dual national... i went back to the British consulate in Izmir and they said 'nonsense' telephoned the person in question and corrected them.

I found this on www.turkishconsulate.org.uk and have yet to read that a British Citizen has to forfeit their British Nationality if they become a Turkish citizen also.

APPLYING FOR TURKISH NATIONALITY:

According to Turkish Nationality Act (numbered 403), a foreigner should meet the following requirements in order to apply for Turkish nationality.

*He/She should be at the age of consent according to his/her national law (if he/she is not a citizen of any country, Turkish law is taken into consideration which requires 18 years old as the age of consent).
*He/She should reside in Turkey for the last five years and should have the intention of settling in Turkey (This condition may not be applicable to those who are married to a Turkish national or those who are with Turkish origin).
*He/She should be in good health.
*He/She should speak Turkish.
*He/She should have enough financial resources to support himself/herself and his/her family in Turkey.

If you meet the conditions above, you can apply to obtain Turkish nationality. Application can be made through this Consulate General or the local Governor's office in Turkey with the following documents.  

*A document revealing the present nationality of the applicant, i.e. passport or birth certificate.
*If married to a Turkish national, the official documents confirming the identities and family ties of the spouse and the under aged children.
*Certification of applicant's ability to speak Turkish (a certificate will be issued by this Consulate General upon a successful interview of the applicant).
*A medical certificate confirming the applicant's good health and being free from any infectious diseases that may endanger the public health (this certificate can be obtained from the local GP or family doctor).
*4 photographs
*Completed application forms which can be obtained from this Consulate General.
*Certification and translation fees.
*Administration fee.

Completed dossiers are transferred to the Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Turkey, which in turn will consider and process the applications on their merits. The applicants will be informed of the outcome by this Consulate General in due course.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:56:03 PM by sunnyd »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Turkish Citizenship
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 13:44:51 PM »

I found this on the follwing website:  http://www.transcomm.ox.ac.uk/traces/iss6pg1.htm  It seems dual nationality is allowed as long as the authorities are informed. This would obviously be the case for a foreigner becoming a Turkish National. Why would anyone want to relinquish there UK Nationality anyway?

Merve Safa Kavakci was stripped of her Turkish citizenship less than a month after her election to parliament and faces expulsion from the legislature. The Cabinet ruled that she had taken out US citizenship without permission. Under the law, Turkish citizens who take out a second citizenship are required to inform the authorities. She acquired US citizenship through her Jordanian-born American ex-husband, a month before the parliamentary elections in April. Whether the loss of citizenship will result in Kavacki losing her seat in parliament is to be decided by the Supreme Election Board. US immigration officials said that they would investigate Kavakci if she takes an oath of allegiance to Turkey. Such an oath would violate the terms of her US citizenship.

Offline hoops man

Turkish Citizenship
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 10:56:40 AM »
i just got my nationality last week.you dont give up your uk passport.The rules have changed this year so my last thread on this subject is a little out of date and inaccurate.Sorry.You dont need to be married to a turkish national now to get nationality.As long as you have had 3 years residency without a long period of leave from Turkey you can apply.The couple who were in before me for the so called 'test 'were in on their own and i got the impression they had a hard time of it.Myself ,i went in with my wife who is Turkish.They asked her all the questions i thought they would ask me then turned round and said congratulations Ronnie.i never uttered one word.i would say to anyone who is not married to a Turk to brush up on the basics and if you fall into the category of 3 years residency then go for it.They do seem to be making it easier for us.

Ronnie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf