Author Topic: swimming with dolphins  (Read 9073 times)

Offline penny

swimming with dolphins
« on: February 15, 2008, 20:21:52 PM »
i have heard that you can swim with dolphins somewhere near either cas or kalkan. has anyone been, was it worth going and how much does it cost? my kids are desperate to do it.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 20:33:31 PM »
It's at Kas. I've heard that it's expensive and that the environment that the dolphins are kept in is questionable.

Here's the link to their website.Make your own decision about it.

http://www.dolphinchildtherapy.com/index.asp?location=0&langid=10000

Offline penny

swimming with dolphins
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 20:40:46 PM »
thank you for the link, if the conditions the dolphins are kept in are poor i won't be going. we are going to america in may i understand the facilities there are good. i would rather pay more money for better conditions for the dolphins.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 20:48:28 PM »
Questionable? There's bigger swimming pools at Antalya hotels than what the dolphins have to live in. Scandalous is closer to the word :(

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 20:52:29 PM »
my sister in law went last year. she loved it. said it was very good value in comparison to America, and remember, Turkey is not America.  She did not have anything bad to say about the way in which the dolphins are kept, although I have not seen myself, so cannot confirm either way. However remember, Everything will always be bigger and better in America

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 20:56:25 PM »
...but having now read Scunners post, maybe there are issues!

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 21:12:08 PM »
 :)There has been a thread on here before about the dolphins and having read different facts about the treatment of them It opened my eyes and I dont think I would be taking my grand children there.

Offline lewis.wensley

swimming with dolphins
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 21:13:07 PM »
well i went with sue s sister in law to the dolphin s in kas, and i have to say that they are kept in an area which isnt big by any means, but it isnt small either..
it s a natural habitat,at one side of "a lake", so it isnt a TANK....
we had a long chat with the owner, and she explained to us that the dolphin s are  very quite and do not do tricks (as they do in America),as they are trained for the disabled.. we watched them for an hour or so, and i could see that they were happy and content with there enviroment...
it costs about £45-50 (cant remember).. and you get about 10 min s in which to swim with the dolphin, i know this doesnt sound a lot of time, but belive you me it s enought!!!!
we DROVE to kas for a day out to see a different area, and came across the dolphin s by accident really, as we didnt even know they were there, but i would reccomend you go and have a look for yourselves, BUT you have to book if you want to swim with them....

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 21:26:53 PM »
It is believed that dolphins can swim up to 100 miles in one day.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it isn't scandalous. Maybe I can buy a horse and keep it locked forever in my garden shed.

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
swimming with dolphins
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 21:51:40 PM »
I think, "go and make your own judgement" is the answer here.....we could start a whole topic on the rights of animals, but at least in this instance, the dophins are being used to help disabled children, which cant be a bad thing.  I remember being in Turkey 17 years ago and being approached by the guy with the dancing bear...thank god that "entertainment" has been wiped out of the tourist areas!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf