Author Topic: cold e-mailing  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
cold e-mailing
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 17:00:27 PM »
IMHO, I think it was very mature for this person to come on and write an explanation and offer an apology. Hopefully there will be a quick resolve and no-one is baying for blood!.  :)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
cold e-mailing
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 17:10:39 PM »
is it really a major problem that a local education establishment is looking for host families and uses the forum to find them?
if it was someone trying to sell me something not connected with the local area I might be a bit annoyed and just delete it.
I delete half a dozen e mails a day without even looking at them, at least this one I would have looked at then thought of anyone who may benefit from this and pass it on then probably delete it.

Sorry I just don't see the big deal in this one.

Andy

Offline brianthegardener

cold e-mailing
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 17:20:31 PM »
Im not Baying for blood as you put it Toky.....im offended by the message sent to me and the poor appology.."it wasnt me"...Scunner is the person to appologise to for abusing HIS forum and its members.
They didnt even have the courtesy to appologise to me in person...they did of course have the ordacity to promote there buisness to me though..only hope now is they havent "sold on" my e-mail address to other companys..along with other members of this forum[?]

Offline brianthegardener

cold e-mailing
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 17:26:13 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

is it really a major problem that a local education establishment is looking for host families and uses the forum to find them?
if it was someone trying to sell me something not connected with the local area I might be a bit annoyed and just delete it.
I delete half a dozen e mails a day without even looking at them, at least this one I would have looked at then thought of anyone who may benefit from this and pass it on then probably delete it.

As a moderator of this forum i would have thought you would have "backed" the rules of the forum and its owner...supprised you havent....Scunner whent into great lenghts to show his dis approval of this method of advertising.

Andy

Offline brianthegardener

cold e-mailing
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 17:28:46 PM »
Originally posted by brianthegardener

As a moderator of this forum i would have thought you would have "backed" the rules of the forum and its owner...supprised you havent....Scunner whent into great lenghts to show his dis approval of this method of advertising.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
cold e-mailing
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 17:47:48 PM »
Have the rules been broken? bent? or just bowed a bit:D
No one else has complained so Im guessing it wasnt a blanket coverage of CBF.

Yes Brian I am a moderator, but Im a moderate moderator ;)

I think their are far worse things to complain about in the world and indeed Calis!

Andy
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 17:51:27 PM by tinkerman »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
cold e-mailing
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 18:00:13 PM »
quote:

Yes it is. People become members here to enjoy the discussions and not to give up their privacy in the process. The PM facility is here to allow members to contact each other to arrange meet ups, talk about things that may have been put in the buy & sell forum and the like. CBF is not for people to join so they can spam everyone we have in our membership about things they have expressed no interest in. As you said, there is enough of that arriving in all our inboxes without CBF adding to the problem. It isn't correct to think that as there is a lot of something about, that a little more won't matter. There's a lot of murders, it doesn't mean we can knock somebody off because it's only one more. Turning up here spamming members (and not contributing to the many questions asked on CBF whatsoever) is no different to turning up at your house and without even having the courtesy to ask you pasting posters for it all over your windows.

The sad part is that if they had contacted one of us to ask if they could make a post about their venture we would almost definitely have said yes and possibly even helped promote it.

I feel entirely convinced that chasing down this disrespectful use of our forum is the correct thing to do, and if you join a few other forums that don't have that attitude you will soon appreciate why.

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
cold e-mailing
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 18:04:45 PM »
What is the point in having spam filters,fire walls etc etc if anyone can breach all of them by joining this forum.Scunner was very blunt and to the point with his response which I fully support.Will he support me breaking the rules because I have a different opinion on a subject.I suspect not!regards j

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
cold e-mailing
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 18:09:53 PM »
Having a different opinion on any subject does not break any rules John, inc. this one.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
cold e-mailing
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 18:17:59 PM »
Someone made a mistake.

An apology has been made.

Does this have to be dragged out any more ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf