Author Topic: Walking your dogs at Kargi beach....beware  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Firo

Walking your dogs at Kargi beach....beware
« on: November 29, 2009, 15:15:53 PM »
On Sat afternoon we took the dogs for a run along Kargi beach. It was wonderful and they were loving the water and stones.
Later that evening our oldest Schnauzer Tizzy was off her food. We thought she had swallowed too much sea water but 3 hours later she was retching, crying and clearly distressed.
We rushed her up to Serkan in Ovacik at 10pm and he aenethetised her and looked in her throat and stomach but all he could see was what he thought was an allergic reaction in her throat. He treated her accordingly.
We brought her home and 1 hours later she was screaming in pain and bringing up lots of blood.
We rushed her back to Serkan at 1am and whilst he was checking her again she vomited her entire stomach contents and blood. In that he found what looks like small pieces of a sea water natural sponge.He put her on a drip and she calmed down. 2 hours later we returned home with her and she collapsed asleep on her bed.
He thinks it was a sponge type of coral that looks like moss and smells yummy to dogs but is clearly not.
She is still on a drip with daily checks but is not crying in pain or being sick anymore so hopefully she'll make a full recovery.
This was the first time we had used Serkan and we will never use another vet here. He clearly loves animals and we are very pleased with the way he looked after our precious pet over his Bayram holiday.
So be aware of what your dogs pick up on the sea shore and don't delay vet treatment if they show the symptons above.
Fi

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 15:48:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about your dog being so ill. Hope that she recovers well. We use Serkan for our pets too.

Thank you for the warning,we shall be careful when we walk our dogs  on the beach, I have never heard of this sponge before.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 18:08:37 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 17:28:45 PM »
That's a real shock.  I am so glad you got it sorted with the help of Serkan.  Thanks for the warning!  Poor old Tizzy.  I hope she's on the mend soon.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 18:20:00 PM »
Good news shes recovering Fi,bit of a frightening experience for an old friend, hope she recovers quickly :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf