Author Topic: CAR PRICES ETC.  (Read 5528 times)

Offline dave n

CAR PRICES ETC.
« on: October 24, 2004, 19:12:47 PM »
MY WIFE AND I WIL BE MOVING TO CALIS SOMETIME IN 2005,CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THE PRICE CARS IN TURKEY AND CAN WE USE OUR U.K LICENCE, AS WE WOULD LIKE TO DO SOME SIGHTSEEING. THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THE FORUM WITHOUT IT OUR MOVE WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFICULT TO SAY THE LEAST. HOPE TO MEET SOME MEMBERS IN 2005.

Offline Pete and Jo

CAR PRICES ETC.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 21:12:58 PM »
I understand from other expats. that you need to get your residency first in order to buy a car in your own name. Cars are generally expensive in the Fethiye area, especially used cars. Expect to pay £3-£4,000 for a 5-6 year old tofas/fiat. New cars, if you can afford one, are similar to u.k. prices, but you will get a better deal generally from Antalya dealers, and if possible, take a turkish friend with you to help you secure a good price.
I understand that the u.k. driving licences are o.k, but it might be worth updating to the new european ones.
Good Luck with your move.
Pete and Jo

Offline braveheart

CAR PRICES ETC.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 08:45:15 AM »
Hi folks

Has anyone taken their own car?

Is it otherwise not advised

Looking at the long term, I was contemplating driving and using/leaving my car over there

Bad idea?????

Kind regards

Bob

Offline n/a

• deleted
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 10:28:17 AM »
I got mine over here and reregistered it to a turkish number plate. But most of you wont be able to do this unless you got a work, student, investigation or retirment visa. Even if you do have one of these you will still have to pay a huge security deposit which you will get back once you re export the car or sell it to another foreigner.
just for example a brand new honda accord (2004 model) would be over £15,000 deposit.
If you dont have one of the above visaa then you can bring in your car for 6 months and then you MUST leave and the vehicle can NOT come back for another 6 months. No way around this I am afraid.

Offline Sinbad

CAR PRICES ETC.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 15:52:38 PM »
I know of three people who live in Turkey (Ex UK) and all paid reasonable prices. Like the UK you need to shop around for the best price.

Offline 345345

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 17:38:59 PM »
Same goes for motorbikes. you will need to put a deposit down but thats if you can qualify. you will need a special visa and not just an ordinary residents permit.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
CAR PRICES ETC.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 11:01:55 AM »
We would advise hirng a car for the first few weeks to give you a chance to shop around.

We ended up getting a very good deal on a 4 year old Nissan pickup from Kocatepe in Fethiye. We needed a large truck because of the place that we live ( Kaya Koyu ), but they can also help with ordinary cars both new and secondhand.

Getting the car registered in your name is a bit of a nightmare but a good dealer will also take of this for you.

Lots of people recommend going to Antalya / Izmir / Istanbul to purchase a vehicle but when you weigh up the savings against the possibility that you might need to return for warranty work or adjustments it makes you wonder whether its really worth the long journey.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
CAR PRICES ETC.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 11:00:45 AM »
I too bought a pick up from Kocatepe Nissan in Fethiye, and they have always been brill with me (I traded the pick up in for an X-Trail so I have had many dealings with them). Registering the car was a 10 minute painless operation as they did all the paperwork and pointed to where I needed to sign.

The best advice I received was to buy new if it is possible - depreciation is slow here and you don't save a lot when buying a car second hand. At least if you buy new you know the car hasn't had any dubious meetings with trees/cars/mountain sides/cows.

My experience is that pickups are not too different in price to the UK, as they are viewed more as a van for tax purposes than a car (similar to UK then). If you want a big luxury car you will be whacked for several taxes and levies (Luxury car tax??) - but if you are looking for a mid-ranged family car - focus/corrolla/citreon C3, then you can buy new for around 10k all in, which is hardly much different to the UK.

Hope that helps,

Scunner

Offline jill

CAR PRICES ETC.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 07:59:56 AM »
Hi - just seen this question on the forum - I bought a car without a residents permit - the police guy just stamped "Turistik" on the car papers, and I've now been here for 2 years and it was fine when I did get my residents permit.  I bought a Kartal and it has been brilliant - Denizli to fethiye every week for a year, one roll in the snow and not a dent on it.  It's built like a tank and is a bit thirsty but for a 1998 car it has been great value!
Jill

Offline lorna young

CAR PRICES ETC.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 14:41:44 PM »
Hi- we to will be looking to buy a car when we get out, I would like a little 4x4 anyone know what sort of price range and where is the best place to buy?
Cheers Lorna

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf