Author Topic: Councils tell people to help themselves  (Read 1308 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Councils tell people to help themselves
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 18:12:31 PM »
I have never resented paying taxes; if that is where a portion of my taxes went or would go then the answer is Yes.

Taxpayers money is used to fund wages and related terms and conditions of service for those that work in public services - this includes Pensions I guess.

There are lots of things that I would rather my taxes weren't spent on; I'd much rather see people get a decent Pension to live on in their old age, but hey we can't pick and choose...

Of course I would rather not pay into your own private Personal Pension Plan :D I'd rather you had an employer that paid you a good wage and shared the burden of contributions in its Employee Pension Scheme.

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 18:50:19 PM »
I work for Birmingham City Council and have been there all week through the snow and ice, sorting out child care with schools shut, and as Heather says, those taking time off will take it from their flexi or have unpaid leave.  Every member of our office staff have been in work despite the difficulties.

My pension scheme is a joke.  I will get a far better pay out from my previous employer, a bank, to which I didn't contribute a penny and which was funded totally by customers.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 19:06:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Apparently Local Council's are now saying that people should be doing more for themselves during the cold spell, like clearing the paths in front of their houses.

What? You mean like everybody did, without being asked, when I was a lad? And everyone looked out for their older neighbours by clearing their paths?

Absurd! People today would just moan about it! ... Except, that is, for my younger next door neighbour who cleared our path just before I was going out to do it myself. Cheers, mate.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 20:11:15 PM »
Well said Colwyn.

The council are taking a risk telling folk to clear paths.  They could get sued by someone getting hurt taking their advice.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 23:12:37 PM »
Apparently, in France the law demands that everyone clear the path in front of their own house and/or business.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf