Author Topic: Eligible?  (Read 8911 times)

Offline Firo

Eligible?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
You are not legally entitled to NHS treatment in the UK when you have been out of the country for more than 3 months. :([:(!]
If you go back you can claim treatment if you say you have come back there to live and you have a UK address.
Alternative.....work the system. Have a UK address and keep registered with your doctor.  ;) :-\
I know people who call up the doctors make an appointment and then cancel it saying they're better. This keeps you active on the doctors list. I also know people who need regular appointments for ongoing treatment that go back every 3 months and the NHS treat them.
My take is we have paid NI all our lives and we still pay UK taxes so we will still use the NHS services.
We always make appointment for check ups when we are back there.
Be wise when you are planning your move out here and don't tell them you are leaving the UK. We've paid for it (and they still take our taxes) and we're dammed sure we're going to get our monies worth if we need it. ;)

Offline friar tuck

Eligible?
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 12:03:49 PM »
Got to agree with you Fi, it is a crazy situation when you can work in the UK in an occupation where you risk life and limb for the community and indeed the nation, and then when you retire you are told, if you are out of the UK for more than 3 months you are entitled to a BIG FAT ZERO, I know ex pats in Uzumlu from the Armed Forces, Police and Fire and Rescue service who have worked all their lives in those professions and then are told that if they retire to a beautiful peaceful place like Uzumlu they will lose all their healthcare benefits, it's CRAZY. [:(!]

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Eligible?
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
I fail to see why members of the Armed Forces, Police and Fire and Rescue Service should be treated differently from any other members of the public with regard to this matter.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Eligible?
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
Firo has it spot on, she is correct in everything she said, agree with her opinion too,
It can be done, I know from helping someone in the same situation. and why not.

Offline farmer

Eligible?
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 14:45:43 PM »
Highlander.
I think you miss the thrust of the point made by others on this topic  is that why should those who have paid their Uk taxes and National Insurance Contributions be disbarred from receiving free medical within the UK jusy because they choose to live outside the UK.
You then go off at a tangent when you say you don't see why members of the Armed Forces, Police and Fire and Rescue Services should be treated any differently from any other members of the public when it comes to this matter.
I do see why.
What other members of the public regularly have to put their lives on the line in the course of their duties? I am surprised you do not include the RNLI, Mountain Rescue and Coastguard services in your list. Special committment should nor preclude special reward.

If you think they should do nor deserve special treatment after they retirement: so be it.
Farmer

Offline bigvic

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 15:05:43 PM »
Mercury.Hello,Anne.thank you for your concern,but i'm afraid it's fell on deaf ears,because it was when i was dragging your fourteen stone of mushy peas from the market that i was flattened by the heart attack,so ya cun shuv em!!!!!!i think you should make a donation(to me)of £6,000 to pay for me by-pass op.....enyrode.me and thelma are ok and we'll see you when i'm better.tarah vic.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Eligible?
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 15:14:39 PM »
Farmer

I did not miss the thrust of the point made by others. I just chose not to comment on the general point.

Nor did a go off at a tangent. I responded something that friar tuck mentioned.

And no, I do not believe that any group should have special treatment.

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Eligible?
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 15:56:00 PM »
some people are adivsed bye their doc to retire to a warmer climate for their health//lol
 either way you can thank gordon brown for the 3month out of country rule!!

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Eligible?
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 17:32:30 PM »
Just don't expect me to give u a bed bath:D £6.000. If it saves your life Vic. just go for it. I know It's a lot of money but just think of all the time you will miss in the Nil Bar if you go the U.K.:D
 Anyway u will save that much in a year on fags!!

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Eligible?
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 19:41:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

I fail to see why members of the Armed Forces, Police and Fire and Rescue Service should be treated differently from any other members of the public with regard to this matter.

Have to agree with you H. Those mentioned above do an admirable job but I believe anyone who has contributed to the system has a right to equal care.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf