Author Topic: Eligible?  (Read 8912 times)

Offline friar tuck

Eligible?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 21:02:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

I fail to see why members of the Armed Forces, Police and Fire and Rescue Service should be treated differently from any other members of the public with regard to this matter.

Highlander you should have gone to specsavers I did not suggest that members of these services should be treated any differently I was making a point that, after risking their lives for their country they have no rights to medical treatment if they decide to settle abroad, I do of course realise that this applies to ALL ex pats, chill out man.:D

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Eligible?
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 21:08:35 PM »
Friat tuck

My apologies for picking you up incorrectly.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Eligible?
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 22:39:41 PM »
I don't think you need to apologise to anybody John. We all agree that the services mentioned do a fantastic job. However singling them out in the context of this thread is totally irrelevant  ;)

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Eligible?
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 23:54:12 PM »
back on an even keel, Uk can nolonger afford NHS in it's current format. It should be tied to contributions / time paid, not just on an arbitury time away from your desk.Think before you tell any civil servant that you are leaving the uk as it may freeze your pension at todays level.

Offline friar tuck

Eligible?
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 05:10:20 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by kenkay

I don't think you need to apologise to anybody John. We all agree that the services mentioned do a fantastic job. However singling them out in the context of this thread is totally irrelevant  ;)

I do not think the fact that people are putting their lives at risk on a daily basis, then when they retire are being debarred from free healthcare is irrelevant at all, I think it highlights a system that is totally unfair. All Brits who have paid their dues should get what they have paid for, surely it is in later years that they may need the service that they have paid for, and Highlander no apologies needed I think we were at crossed wires and DO agree the system in the UK stinks as far as  ex pats are concerned, and that is a knock at the way it is administered and not at the hard working people who supply our healthcare.

Offline Firo

Eligible?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 09:07:40 AM »
All who have paid their National Insurance contributions should be entitled to use the NHS.
A point I would like to make is that Fire and Police services are linked to local Aurthority pension schemes which are taxable at source. Lots of other pensions are subject to double taxation treaties and therefore after you have done the paperwork you can elect to have it paid to you in the UK tax free and if you live in Turkey you will get your pension free of tax as pensions over here are not taxable. The Police, Fire men who have retired have NO choice in the matter. Therefore after retiring from those dangerours jobs they still pay UK tax, have fully paid up in NI and are not entitled, along with everyone else, to NHS care which we have all paid for.
At least those who have tax free pensions could use that saving towards health Insurance here.
Everyone who has paid their NI contributions etc should be entitled to claim for what they have paid.
Fi

Offline Woodies

Eligible?
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 09:28:53 AM »
Hear hear Fi, very well said.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Eligible?
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 13:15:15 PM »
FT, It is unfair that anyone who has paid income tax and NI contributions all their working life are denied treatment under the NHS. I repeat that singling out certain categories IS irrelevant.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Eligible?
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 10:35:31 AM »
Is it fair that £14 million was given as winter fuel payment to people living aboard.On pension for Government employees is it true that they were non contribtary for a long time and are still indexed linked. try getting that in the private secture where mr Brown raided private pension for billions of pounds.also private pensions have suffered the failures of the market decline as civil servant pensions are guarenteed by the tax payer to the extent that the average working Brit now pays more into /for civil servant pensions than he /she does into their own.check office for national stats. 25% of council tax now goes to pay for local authority pension, and to say that government employees are paid less , again go to nat stats figures, on average now paid 5% more for simular work.In the last year 25000 more governement jobs created, the point is that there is only so much money in the pot and if the government won't/ don't know how do anything now the next few years will be even worse a "stitch in time saves nine".

Offline Old Daffodil

Eligible?
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »
If you choose to register with a doctor in the UK after returning from abroad the actual wording actually states on the registration form that there IS NO AUTOMATIC RIGHT TO NHS treatment. It does not say you will not be given it. I see this as the fact that your doctor or hospital may be left to make the decision as to whether you would be treated for free or have to pay. Maybe I am wrong it seems like a grey area to me.

NHS treatment is based on LAWFUL residency not nationality.

If you are an EEA resident or a non EEA resident with 3 months left on a 6 month visa you are entitled to immediate necessary treatment for any pre-existing conditions and those arising after arrival.

I wish you good luck bigvic with whatever decision you make and hope that your medical treatment goes well for you. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:20:04 PM by Daffodil »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf