Author Topic: Eligible?  (Read 8909 times)

Offline Old Daffodil

Eligible?
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »
I hope that your op goes well.:D

It does seem unfair to have to lose the right for treatment after paying for it all your working life. I put the information on to the forum in case anyone is trying to find out about health care before they make a decision about moving out to Turkey.

I have heard that there are people trying to change the law by making the disqualification period 6 months. This would be a big improvement in my view.

Offline bigvic

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 10:00:48 AM »
thanks for your concern,daffodil,i'm sure it will..

Offline maximumtom

Eligible?
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 10:21:29 AM »
It is strange how goods and sevices are viewed differently.  If you had paid for a car in the UK and gone to live abroad and then been told by the government that you could not use it when you visited the UK there would be much more of an outcry.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Eligible?
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 10:24:12 AM »
11 -12% payment made in to your pension plan for the life of your in employment with any service I find hard to believe I think the % rate changed some time ago to the higher rate to reflect some of the costs incured in supporting pensioners within the service. many banks now don't/ or have stopped final salary schemes.The problem seems to me that we are all sitting on a pension time bomb and state pension covered by NI will be means tested and those who have tried to save will be deemed to be ok and won't get state pension. No key worker houseing for them either. Of course those in whitehall who make these rules will be looked after.a worrying time for us all.

Offline Woodies

Eligible?
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Without wishing to discuss personal circumstances beldibi, is it not the case that if someone worked for the police 1) their pension entitlement is protected from any outside influences and is therefore guaranteed,  2) that the individual can retire well before the age of 65, that they will receive a lump sum (twice times final salary ?) and that thier monthly pension payable will be half their final salaray

Can only speak for the Fire Service, but it is true up to a point that;
1) pension entitlement is protected from outside influence, but is not guaranteed. Any form of misdemeanour within the service discipline regulations, can result in all pension entitlements being withdrawn. Also recent changes in the economic climate, have resulted in possible increase in members  pension payments (up from 11% gross salary) and taxation of any lump sum.
2) Yes individuals can retire befor 65, but would obviously depend on that individuals circumstances. Maximum age of service is 60, and a number that I know, fully intend to carry on within the service, up to this age.
3)Monthly pension will be half their final salary, less of course tax, wherever in the world they live. And lets not forget, that a firefighters salary does not equate, to what their skill level attained would earn them in outside industry. A fully qualified firefighter(it takes up to 3 years to become qualified) today earns approimately £26000-00p, less of course tax, NI, superannuation payments, and other local deductions. Not a great deal, for removing that individual from their family (working unsociable hours)and the potential to risk their lives, on a regular basis.

Offline Eric

Eligible?
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2010, 14:46:41 PM »
C1,  I echo Woodies comments, being a retired Firefighter with 34 yrs service.  You are correct that the % changed some time ago, if memory serves me correct it changed in 1978! 32 yrs ago!

* If you leave the service prior to age 50 your pension is frozen and not paid to you until you reach the age of 65.

* If you reach the age of 50 and retire then, your pension is paid but receives no increase until you reach the age of 55.  Then you get increases based on the Retail Price Index, so the pension supposedly remains in line with the cost of living.  But as the RPI is generally below the rate of inflation the pension goes down year after year in real terms.

*  Lastly, even after retirement, in certain circumstances, the pension can be reviewed and withdrawn.  So it is never guaranteed.

Yes there is a ticking pension time bomb, and this should have been addressed by successive Governments years ago when it was highlighted by numerous Trade Unions.  Instead they did other things, to win votes, and ignored what was in front of their noses.

Offline peter16

Eligible?
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, 21:52:05 PM »
ovacikpeedoff, 23yrs, Group Head Office, Milk St. London yes I understand about Bank bonuses, terms and conditions etc.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Eligible?
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2010, 08:07:27 AM »
Happy to see you looking well yesterday Vic. Keep taking the tablets!! (Keep off the fags). Everything will be fine in Mugla. I would feel safer there than the UK. Lots love Anne xx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf