Author Topic: Taxman gets tough onquitting Britain  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Chinook

« on: February 21, 2010, 15:53:32 PM »
According to an article in the Sunday Times Money section today and following a ruling in the Courts this week, HMRC are scrutinising tax affairs of people who have moved abroad even more closely. Keeping a main bank account in the UK is certainly a no no but even keeping on membership of clubs could leave you liable to UK tax. Sounds like there is a need to rescrutiny the guidance document HMRC6.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Taxman gets tough onquitting Britain
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21:06 AM »
thats like giving a fine to someone who has a packet of fags in his pocket in the pub even if they aren't smoking. does club mean union like equity that would mean any person living abroard actor or live preformer wouldn't be able to work unless all their income was uk taxed.

Offline Chinook

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 13:29:05 PM »

Isn't the analogy more one of declaring you are no longer going to visit a particular pub but still being a member of the lottery syndicate.

quote:
does club mean union like equity

Don't know I am not an expert but why would you need a union card or retain membership golf club for instance if you had declared yourself non-resident. I know from my experience living and working abroad you have to be extremely cicumspect in your visits to the UK to ensure that you are not treated as resident for tax purposes.

Unfortunately the article is not currently available on line but quotes the following from HMRC6:

"...Just because you leave the UK to live or work abroad does not necessarily prove that you are no longer resident here if, for example, you keep connections in the UK such as property, economic interests ( union card?), available accommodation and social activities (golf club membership?), or if you have children in education here..."

The comment in brackets in italics are mine.

If someone can show me how too post a scanned copy of the article on here I will do so.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 15:08:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Chinook

If someone can show me how too post a scanned copy of the article on here I will do so.

Since my scanner is no longer functional I resort to the inelegant solution of photographing the original - perhaps in several sections - and then posting the photos. Perhaps someone will come along with a more technologically pleasing answer.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member

Offline TheBruces187

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 15:54:07 PM »
This isn't the same article mentioned from the Sunday Times but does refer to the same ruling that the Sunday Times article quoted. Hope this helps, rather than hinders. Not sure how to make it a URL.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article7029806.ece

Offline Chinook

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 16:01:41 PM »
Thanks Gorgeous Bird . I was obviously a little premature in searching for an on line link

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:09:42 AM »
I very much doubt if there are many CBF members who are classed as super rich who are obviously the sector being targeted here by the taxman:D

Offline Chinook

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:17:42 AM »

No but sadly they are the easy soft target  who the taxman can concentrate on after precedent rulings if only because they cannot afford armies of accountants:(

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 14:35:33 PM »
it would seem that the very people it was "head lined to catch" ie city banker types who earn million a year can still excape this by paying 30k only, this ruling seems to grab you where every you are, if thats the case then surely those that are effect are entitled to state benefits ie pension upgrades and nhs treatment etc, or is this ruling more to do with political actions than fairness it then begars the question of is the law truly independant from political control.[8]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:27:02 AM by c1 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf