Author Topic: Ex pats leaving  (Read 13892 times)

Offline BM06

Ex pats leaving
« on: April 21, 2010, 15:48:06 PM »
Why is it that most of the people i am speaking to at the moment, (ex pats)that have been here for 5/6 years all want to return to the UK they all seem really down:( any thoughts.[?]

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 15:56:55 PM »
5 or 6 years ago the interest rates were really high, property a lot cheaper, bills were next to nothing, so investment wise it was an excellent place to live.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 16:02:30 PM »
I have been here 7 years and have no intention of returning - 2 weeks back in the UK and I can't wait to get back.

I think it helps if you have some sort of job. And health reasons do seem to become a bigger consideration as we get older.

Offline philrose

Ex pats leaving
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 16:09:00 PM »
Well heres a couple for you
I think a lot of people come here expect some sort of eutopia which it is not, it has it's good and bad points the same as anywhere else. So after a while they get bored and start longing for "home".
In addition many ex-pats have been relying on the interest rates to provide an income and sadly that lump sum that provided a generous income a few years ago will not be doing so now. Combine that with the steadily rising cost of living here and that their nest egg is probably reducing rapidly as they are forced to draw on the capital it is little wonder some ex-pats are looking hard at returning to the UK.
I for my part have been here over four years and have no intention on returning to the UK after all there is big world to explore out there! ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 16:10:42 PM by philrose »

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 17:55:35 PM »
Good points v bad points, nearly 6 years in Turkey, I wanted to return after 4 years yet Gordon wanted to stay.  I never really got into the expat scene, so it was nothing to do with the reason to return.  

We have now been back in UK over a year, I still feel exceptionally lucky to live in such a great country,  Living in Turkey for 6 years has taught me more than I care to mention on a forum, yet most importantly it taught me to appreciate Home, UK.

I have the freedom to return to Turkey any time.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 18:08:06 PM »
We returned for no one reason, maybe for a thousand smaller reasons that all add up. We were there for 5 years while our girls went from 3 to 8 years old and these years were great for them to grow up in a place where they were allowed to be kids. We wanted them to get their main schooling in the UK (and hopefully qualifications) - but over and above everything we were bored with it all, we felt we came because we wanted to do it and we felt like we had done it. I didn't retire to Turkey, that's a long way off and earning money and getting paid were often two very different things there. In the UK I speak and am understood and I know what everyone else is saying too.

I could copy and paste Loz's second point as my own - those moving abroad often knock the UK, it takes a few years away to appreciate it, and there is so much we take for granted until it isn't there anymore.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 18:08:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by loz

Good points v bad points, nearly 6 years in Turkey, I wanted to return after 4 years yet Gordon wanted to stay.  I never really got into the expat scene, so it was nothing to do with the reason to return.  

We have now been back in UK over a year, I still feel exceptionally lucky to live in such a great country,  Living in Turkey for 6 years has taught me more than I care to mention on a forum, yet most importantly it taught me to appreciate Home, UK.

Nicely put Loz  :)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 18:15:24 PM »
Scunner you little porky teller! you know you were deported.

(Sorry off topic :D[:o)])

Offline BM06

Ex pats leaving
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 18:27:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgeous_bird

quote:
Originally posted by loz

Nicely put Loz  :)

i must say that the posts above are the most eloquently put i have read for a long time.:D:D

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 18:29:57 PM »
cheeky beggar!: :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf