Author Topic: Ex pats leaving  (Read 13893 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 19:14:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by loz

Scunner you little porky teller! you know you were deported.

(Sorry off topic :D[:o)])

Don't forget banned for life too :D

Offline grahamturner09

Ex pats leaving
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 19:44:22 PM »
And if you go back the mafia will get you. 8)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 19:53:24 PM »
Well it's cheaper than a transfer

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 21:04:54 PM »

An article in todays Daily Mail stated that 9 out of 10 ex pats living abroad were happy and content with a better quality lifestyle.

Turkey was not mentioned so it could have been a survey just in Europe. Obviously it does not suit everyone, those who have been fortunate to experience living in another country and sample the culture can at least say they have tried it.  :)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Ex pats leaving
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 21:14:20 PM »
A  year ago I was adamant that I was going to stay here and would never return to the UK.Unfortunately in the past year my diabetes seems to be getting progressively worse. I had it when I moved out here and it was not a great problem because I was taking tablets that cost about 12TL a month. Due to complications my outlay in tablets and doctors fees is now in excess of 300TL a month.All of this treatment is free in the UK. There is nothing wrong with the medical care in Turkey and I did take the opportunity to discuss it with a diabetic consultant in the UK and he told me that the treatment I was getting was at least as good if not better than what I would receive in the UK.

For all the criticism that it gets the NHS is brilliant in the way my diabetes was treated and monitored. Once it is diagnosed the monitoring and follow up at our medical centre could not be faulted. It really made me be disciplined  This is the main reason why we are returning.

I love Turkey and will miss it greatly.

Offline cheers

Ex pats leaving
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 21:14:26 PM »
I tried it years ago in Sicily.
Loved the place, loved the people!  As the saying goes there is 'No place like home'.
The pull of the 'Pool' was too much so gave up and came home!
Tried it, experienced it, loved it but ...........
 :) :)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 23:03:43 PM »
Honest posts, I have spoken to people there and some of them you can read between the lines, they say they love it etc, but I am not convinced, We went for 3 months once and i can honestly say I could'nt wait to get home after 6 weeks, the family came and went as did the mates, it was a pleasure to go in the asda and know exactly what I was getting, as they say, "one mans meat is another mans poison",and my steak is in the Pool. ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 23:39:41 PM »
...and as a different angle to that, we have been back to Calis quite a few times since moving back to the UK - and it has been brilliant. Far better than living there :D - well maybe that's a bit harsh but to have a week or a fortnight where the sun and heat hasn't been making you sweat for 3 months already, and to be able to say what you want to people without having to run every word silently through your brain first (for fear of offending someone or saying something that people will twist) is superb. Having a business in the resort makes things difficult, you fall off your bar stool after 3 too many and the next morning it's become you got drunk and attacked someone with a knife :D

Although I was never one of the out boozing every day types, I did give it my best on the nights I was out and you just know people are waiting for you to say something twistable, you can see it in their faces [:o] Because you have a business and they don't, it makes you very easy to target for gossip and lies, as you have something they can aim to damage - and as they have nothing but a beer glass they have nothing to lose. I was slagged off on one website when my kids were given a makeshift bed of two chairs put together by waiters when we went to a restaurant with friends - by people who had never spoken to us in our lives. The level of poisonous interest in us was amazing!

One afternoon produced a bottle of wine and two glasses as a surprise, and told me we were going to the beach to share it, before the kids got home from school. It was the one and only time I let 'locals' influence our lives, I asked her if she could imagine what me and her on the beach with a bottle of wine would become - maybe "Scunner and his Mrs were p***ed on the beach while their kids sat on the front step crying", or something like that.

We didn't go to the beach and I regret that even now. But it did confirm to me that I was right to see our future in the UK. Now if I am in Calis and I fall off my bar stool or drink wine on the beach I couldn't give a toss what people twist it into, we're there to enjoy ourselves and for no other reason :D

I think I started waffling  ;)

Offline cheers

Ex pats leaving
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 00:04:37 AM »
My thoughts exactly Keith!
Never had a business and never want one.  Have seen what happens when you help people and when that word goes around you are a 'Sitting Duck'!  Jealousy is everywhere in life!
I thoroughly endorse the decision you made to come home, for whatever reason it was right for you, your wife and the girls!
All the years that we went on holiday with the kids until they were 18 and then got told 'You are too old to come with Mummy and Daddy now we only went with friends or on our own where nobody knew us, there is a diference!  As you know its hard to pull away from the ties!!:P
Younger when they were tired they were found a pushchair, a chair, a sunbed or whatever to curl up on, and nobody thought it was out of order because everybody did it, and they came to no harm!!  
It was because of Jealousy Keith that you were always targeted, knowing what you did to reform the Estate Agencies in Turkey are you surprised?
Enjoy your holidays!!!
 8) 8)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Ex pats leaving
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 00:08:06 AM »
Ovacikpeedoff,  I came to Turkey with my Diabetes under control, I thought I had managed the condition extremely well;  However, for the last 6 months I have not been well, and could not understand the problems I was experiencing.  I went to the doctors, unbeknown to me matters had progressed, now I am monitored, drugged to the hilt, and to be honest the best I have felt in years, and of course medication, eye test etc free due to diabetes,
Bless the NHS,

(Doctors & surgeries just one of the small things taken for granted)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf