Author Topic: Well its finally over  (Read 12469 times)

Offline janmack

Well its finally over
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 23:35:18 PM »
Pretty annoyed reading this.  We went to Meis on Wed 14th July to renew visas and were not told anything about the new law.

When we initially went to book with Carole and Tayfun, as always, they told us they didn't do it anymore as they could not compete with the 80TL offered by Meis Express.  Ha ha.  They knew!!

Obviously we booked with Meis Express.  At no point did they tell us this was the grand finale...just took our money and said see you next time.

Yeah I know all the arguments about not having it so good etc. etc. blah blah blah.

We did have residency when we first came here cos we took our furniture from the UK and all that.  

Residency did not really benefit us in any other way therefore when it ran out we went for the 3 month visa trip as it cost less.

We live here, we spend our money here, we love the life here, do not give a toss that we have saved X amount in council tax from living in the UK.  That was not our reason for moving.

We came here for a better quality of life.  Maybe we were naive to think that visa runs were the way to go.  However it seems to us that money is what it is all about.  

Can we afford to live here anymore with the extortionate residence permits, who knows???  Maybe the animal rescue centre is going to be inundated:((

At least Turks are allowed to work in the UK.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 23:38:21 PM by janmack »

Offline janmack

Well its finally over
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 23:45:33 PM »

The point about foreign nationals nipping over from the UK to France isn't about whether residency in the UK is affordable or not - the point is that people allowed into the UK for a holiday, finding a way to stay permanently by leaving for a few hours every three months would go down very badly with the British. A tourist/holiday visa is just that - it isn't a visa to live permanently in 3 month chunks by daisy chaining tourist visas.
[/quote]

From what I remember, and according to the UK newspapers, an awful lot of people just turn up in the UK and get all the help they could wish for...in fact I saw it myself on my return from a holiday in Croatia.  "I want to talk to social services" she kept repeating!!...and she got it.
Phil used to be a contractor for Hillingdon council and heard/saw many things he hated especially with regards to the elderly.
We are not money grabbers just cos we do the 3 month visa.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 23:55:07 PM by janmack »

Offline Julesp

Well its finally over
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 23:53:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by janmack

The point about foreign nationals nipping over from the UK to France isn't about whether residency in the UK is affordable or not - the point is that people allowed into the UK for a holiday, finding a way to stay permanently by leaving for a few hours every three months would go down very badly with the British. A tourist/holiday visa is just that - it isn't a visa to live permanently in 3 month chunks by daisy chaining tourist visas.

[/quote]
I totally agree What other country in the world would allow people to live there without the correct visa? If you want to live as a resident here You have to have a residency visa, Im surprised Turkey has let this go on so long
ps I have to renew mine next month Its doubled from last time I renewed But I need so have to pay :(

Offline janmack

Well its finally over
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 23:58:25 PM »
The UK Julesp.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Well its finally over
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 23:58:37 PM »
Not necessarily are they allowed to work in the UK. I agree with you - I think working should be possible at least as I firmly believe there is great benefit to Turkey in allowing non-nationals to generate business. It would take away the obvious jealous tactic when a non-national is generating wealth, the phone call to report them for working illegally. Success helps more than just the owner, the area and taxman also benefit. Not allowing people to work (under regulated conditions) does not protect Turkey or Turkish workers, it does exactly the opposite - it stunts growth and strangles opportunity.

All that said, this action is to stop the use of tourist visas by full time residents. I think that is the correct thing to do. As I have said previously, I do not agree with the cost of residency permits for Brits in Turkey. I became sick of hearing expats telling anyone who will listen about how much they "support the local economy" by buying Efes and bread; like they were the saviours of Turkey. I do however think it would be unwise to overcharge Brits for residency as they do spend and boost the local economy in many ways.

It is important to know who is resident in Turkey from abroad and the residency permit is necessary for that reason. Perhaps a no fee residency permit is the sensible way forward.

My comments, by the way, about cheaper council tax than the UK were not made to imply that cheaper council tax was a reason to live in Turkey. The point I was making was that although residency is an unwelcome cost, people can often lose sight of the overall tax/expenditure comparison.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Well its finally over
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 00:06:24 AM »
quote:

Jan I agree with you, the point is:

Tourist visa - for tourists
Residency permit - for residents

It's not about money grabbing, it's about using a system in a way for which it is not intended. Reductions in residency permit costs will help all - if non-nationals start to pack up and leave in large numbers you only have to imagine how that will affect Calis, and Calis is just one tiny area that will feel it, there will be hundreds and hundreds of businesses in dozens and dozens of resorts that will be hurting.

Offline Julesp

Well its finally over
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 00:14:17 AM »
quote:

The UK Julesp.

I dont agree that the Uk allows tourists to live and work with a tourist visa. Uk border agency is one of the toughtest in the world. The immigrants working there are either from EEC or illegal. If illegal and found out they are the same as here and will be kicked out
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 00:29:59 AM by Julesp »

Offline janmack

Well its finally over
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 00:20:34 AM »
Sometimes I feel in these discussions we are all tarred with the same brush and I know there are many, many folk here who just get on with their lives...on their 3 month visa!!  

In Chalk Farm and surrounding areas, where Phil grew up, there is a huge Turkish community.  We always had the pleasure of eating their food and enjoying their company and they always said "Go to Turkey".  We did, we loved it, we ended up moving to Turkey.

Just get very annoyed with the irregularities when you actually live here.

Offline janmack

Well its finally over
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 00:29:54 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Jan I agree with you, the point is:

Tourist visa - for tourists
Residency permit - for residents

Yes I agree in theory.  However having had residency we did not find any benefit from it compared to folk who came out and renewed their visas every 90 days. They still got their phone lines, scooters etc  We worked out it was actually cheaper for us to do the same.  Obviously we will now have to pay for residency as we have all our pets and cannot leave them for 1 day never mind 90!!  We only hope that this time they will use the new "tanned pics" of us...they didn't the last time we renewed.  lol.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 00:31:54 AM by janmack »

Offline janmack

Well its finally over
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 00:46:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Julesp

quote:

The UK Julesp.

Uk border agency is one of the toughtest in the world.

Are you sure about this???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf