Author Topic: Own pool - worth it?  (Read 8439 times)

Offline rpg9000

Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 17:39:17 PM »
Some thought-provoking answers from various viewpoints - until the inevitable silliness started [:o)]

I can see that a shared pool probably wouldn't work unless the upkeep was contracted out and covered by the complex/apartments service charges, or unless you had decent neighbours.

I think that I would try to set up some simple solar heating setup to extend the swimming season - I do not do "cold"!

And yes, I've seen a couple of villas advertised which include a plunge pool rather than a swimming pool. I don't think that would be worth the bother.

It's just so appealing, the whole idea of retiring to the sun and having a pool, isn't it?

PS: Very clever and unique artist stoop - I assume you've seen some of his other stuff?

Offline Eric

Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 17:47:30 PM »
Quote "I think that I would try to set up some simple solar heating setup to extend the swimming season"
It won't be simple, or cheap.  I did some preliminary research into this before we finalised our house.  The basics are;
1.  You need, as a minimum, the same square meterage of the surface of the pool in solar panels
2.  As the year goes on you get less direct sun as it is lower in the sky, therefor you do not get the max heat output
3.  You need an additional electric pump to circulate around the panels and the pool, plus the pipe work.  All this has to be done while the house and pool are being built as it is a difficult retro fit.
4.  You have the problem of frost proofing all those panels and pipe work.

I decided it was not worth the extra cost and problems to extend the 'swimming year' by around 4 weeks.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 19:46:21 PM »
We have our own pool. We use it all the time. Kids go in every day even in May & October. The whole family use it constantly during August. I could not sit around in the summer heat without taking a swim /plunge every half hour or so.

Offline rpg9000

Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 20:17:52 PM »
quote:
I decided it was not worth the extra cost and problems to extend the 'swimming year' by around 4 weeks.

Thanks for the input Eric - at the moment it is all pie-in-the-sky, but it would be an interesting project even if it wasn't a complete success. I did swim in a solar heated pool some years ago in Cape Town, and it was amazing! The collectors were substantially less than the size of the pool - after all, your not really heating the water that much,  and I would have thought Calis gets at least the same amount of sun.

Could always dismantle if it didn't work and sell the parts off in the "For Sale" section!

quote:

Kids go in every day even in May & October

Yes, forty years ago so would I have but it would kill me if I tried it now - that's why I would need some sort of heating. Appreciate the comments though, bewva.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 20:19:07 PM by rpg9000 »

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 21:04:42 PM »
We have a shared pool on a complex maintained by a company and would / could not be without a pool in July August. However if we ever buy another property in Turkey it will have to be with a private pool and learn about pool chemicals etc. Reason for this is we have found the last two summers that the people on the complex who rent out their properties may have up to eight people renting their house, six or seven renting properties makes the pool pretty crowded and noisy and not the relaxing time it should be! Hindsight is a wonderful thing to have.

Offline hubblebubble

Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 21:06:49 PM »
Looking after your own pool is pretty easy and for July and August a pool is  essential enjoyment and cooling for me.
The solar heating didn't look a realistic option when we looked into it thus i find that after the beginning of october we dont really use the pool, which is a shame as the days are lovely but the water just cools too much overnight - and once you have acclimatised it seems freezing in there.

Offline jackstee

Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 18:10:40 PM »
I know this thread was a long time agao but we are presently checking this out.

I would now disagree with not getting a plunge pool.

We only have enough room for one. We tried a 2.5 meter X 75 cm blow up type just to see if it worked.

Fantastic. We were going to Chalis when the kids came out, to use the Aqa Park etc.

Never needed it. Back garden, plenty of food, drink and fun.

If we are still here next year we will deffinately get a proper one installed.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 18:40:52 PM »
Why not get one of the fancy Jacuzzi's? with an artisan well to fill with cold cold water in the hot months.:D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 19:12:14 PM »
It's an Artesian Well you silly 'Ol Loz !!!

(Just as a matter of interest, there aren't any Artesian Wells in the area. They're all boreholes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artesian_aquifer  )

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 19:22:19 PM »
My well was the best, I had a partisan well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf