Author Topic: student host family deported?  (Read 5719 times)

Offline BM06

student host family deported?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 13:07:45 PM »
Does anyone know where the 33,000 sqm campus in this area is? just been reading the web site there seems to be some strange comments such as ''native English speaking teachers''[?]'native English activity leaders''[?] They also claim that a host family are trained,experienced, drawn from the 7000k population living in the area[?]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 13:17:48 PM by BM06 »

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 14:18:32 PM »
They've just moved from Fethiye to Hisaronu so no idea if the 33,000sqm is the old or the new place. Can't help with the rest of your questions, sorry!

Offline BM06

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 14:38:12 PM »
So what you are saying you do not no the answers to none of my questions :) thanks ;):D

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 17:01:48 PM »
the new site is between Hisaronu and Kaya

I don't know anything about native speakers but they have recruited a lot of new staff this year from overseas to teach English and also to run activities with the students out of teaching sessions.

Offline BM06

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 17:39:40 PM »
Nichola, the site claims they are employing 'native' English teachers and activity staff[?] a summer camp of 33,000sqm with quote basketball,tennis,courts,swimming pool, football pitch,and a sports hall[?] just wondered where it was[?] before or after the move and what traning the/a host family had been given[?] ;) 8)

Offline joy2

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 10:53:56 AM »
The true story is that one woman was taking students and then applied for residency but decided to do it herself instead of getting help. Her Turkish boyfriend filled in the one form which had to be in Turkish, he was supposed to put her down as a carer, as that is what it boils down to but apparently there is no Turkish word for carer so he put down teacher, thinking that it would do. When the police rang up the school of course they found out that she is not a teacher there and promptly deported her for giving wrong information. No one who is taking in a student need to worry, it's just that the school want their students to sample the English way of life.

Offline Firo

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 17:08:51 PM »
We were told that the new campus was in Ortakoy(spelling might not be correct) which is just as you get to the top of the hill to Ovacik there is a turning right and down there they have bought an old hotel and grounds.
The idea being that most students will be staying on site so I don't think there will be much call for Host families this year apart from maybe the Ovacik/Hisaranou area.
Native English speaking teachers...well there are a few that I know who are now Turkish Nationals so are therefore legally able to work there but there are also lots of locals expats "employed" as teachers which is not legal. As far as I know those people must be aware of the consequences of "working" but I guess like many people here they'll take the risk.
Letting rooms is legal and poses no threat of deportation to host families, as has been already explained.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 17:45:24 PM »
They still need host families in Calis, offered me 2 this week, but I declined.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 22:18:13 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Firo

Letting rooms is legal and poses no threat of deportation to host families, as has been already explained.

Yet a woman who let a room is now deported. Misunderstanding or not, she let a room and no more. Once again I have to say that in the absence of a "Turkish word for carer" [joy2], I find the chance of losing your retirement dream for a few quid to be a truly ridiculous risk.

Offline Fastlady

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 06:42:46 AM »
When applying for Turkish Residency, most people wouldn't need to inform the authorities that they are receiving money from E&M for renting out a room.  Turkish Residency is granted to people who can show they have the means to support themselves whilst they are living here.  Generally production of a bank statement, showing either savings in the bank, or a regular income from the UK (ie pension) is enough.  Unfortunately, the person who was deported also stated that she was receiving income from E&M - which is where she became unstuck, as has already been explained.  There doesn't need to be a Turkish word for 'carer' as host families are not employed as such - a more appropriate definition would be 'landlord', for which E&M are paying the appropriate tax, on behalf of host families, and therefore (according to E&M) is acceptable to the Turkish authorities.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf