Author Topic: Home Brewing  (Read 4309 times)

Offline screamlead

Home Brewing
« on: June 29, 2011, 17:08:09 PM »
Anybody into home brewing or wine making?
Theres way too much natural ingredients out here not to really.
I did meet some peeps in Nigels bar on the front near the museum when i did a funeral a while back ( I;m the Trumpet Player who does them in the Fethiye area)

No one got back to me, but seems a shame not more people trying out as every thing can be got here even some of the chemicals and most of the stuff can be subsituted by natural ingredients anyway.
Anything can be made ie fruit wines, turbo ciders, beers, lager, port and Mead.
5 ltr water bottles can be used for demi johns and fermenting and old pop bottles for bottling.
Fruit juices in cartons for quick easy wines and turbo ciders, local arpa can be malted and used for beers and lagers ( done 2 x 5 gall batches so far)
Grapes direct off the vine for white and red wines, Mushmulla, fig and pomegrante.
oranges and lemons for citric acid, cup of tea for tannin, yeast - plain old allinsons baking yeast can be used and the local maya too.
Yeast nutrient in the form of Andrews liver salts or similar turkish one from chemists ( at a pinch you can even use marmite!!!)
Anyone miss a real pint of english bitter??:D

Offline Julesp

Home Brewing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 21:14:05 PM »
Thanks thats very interesting
 I used to have ago at Home brewing in the uk but have never attempted here because I didnt know what to use and how to do, I have a garden full of fruit especially grapes and citrus fruits, would it be possible for you to put full instructions in the Recipe section for Fruit Wines?

The wine cannot be much worse than some of the Turk ones even with me making :D

Offline busybee

Home Brewing
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 07:12:09 AM »
I used to make home made wine many years a ago and would love to have a go over here.  So any recipies and advice would be very grateful

Offline screamlead

Home Brewing
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »
Using grapes to make white wine is dead easy. The biggest problem is wild yeasts and bugs getting in and spoiling it. One way to kill all the nasties is get hold of some Campden Tablets, crush one and add to every 5ltr of juice. You can get it here in turkey in powder form online but you have to buy by the kg etc - hence setting up this thread to see if we can get some genuine interest and buy in bulk between us. ie corks are about 80tl for 1000 - but even i couldnt use that many in a year!
Back to the grapes - couple of bucket fulls will do for 5 ltr easy way is wash them and the crush in a big bowl with bare feet or a pair of new sterilised wellies! then fill up 5ltr water bottle to around the neck 3-4 inches of space free (in case of bubble over!) add juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange and a cup of stewed turkish tea and 1 t spoon of andrews or similar (turk chemists sell something in sachets with lemon flavour ) dont worry if you cant get hold of it - it just helps the yeasties. once you have all that in the bottle then add a t spoon of yeast.
Allinsons baking yeast can be used just get someone to bring a tub over for you or better still Wilkinsons in UK sell one called Youngs super wine yeast compound and you can use that for allsorts. But failing that use baking yeast it will work but you wont get very high alcohol from it - only 4-5% ABV.
Also dont worry about finnings and clearing all wine will clear on its own naturally given time except for a couple of stubborn fruit wines which need a little help.
The grape juice should kick off bubbling within 24 hours and bubble away for a couple of weeks then slow down, airlocks were invented so you can phisically see the bubble and hear the bloop bloop! but are not absolutely necessary (unless doing large batches when you need to exclude air getting in) a bit of muslin tied on the top or some cotton wool stuffed in the neck will do of you have nothing else. after all its only to let the gas escape and keep out beasties, leave for a week like this then screw cap on lightly to exclude air getting in - if gas is escaping then non is getting in. Remember for every tiny bubble you see rising in the bottle the wine has just produces the same amount in alcohol! Once finished bubbling you need to transfer to another bottle to clear and get the wine off the gunk and dead yeasties in the bottom so transfer by syphoning with a tube - you wont get all the wine out but you can top up with bottled water to about an inch below the top and leave to clear. Once clear, bottle - you can use screw top pop bottles as they are rated for high pressure from fizzy pop anyway. If you want a sparkling wine add 1 large t spoon of sugar at this stage (per litre)- fill to 2-3 inches below neck and tighten top, on one bottle squeeze the air out and screw top on whilst bottle is squeezed then leave in a warm place for a couple of weeks - once squeezed bottle is back to normal - hey presto the wine is carbonated! I like mine cold anyway so i always fridge it for a couple of days too. = Have fun! PS i'll see if i can post instructions for airlocks with pictures later.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:00:04 AM by screamlead »

Offline screamlead

Home Brewing
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 07:48:28 AM »
Quick pic test to see if this works - some beer i made.

Offline jackstee

Home Brewing
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 19:31:16 PM »
Hi
I now have an orange, apricot and a blackcurrant. This Friday will check the price od peach( For peach snaps) and white grapes.

Offline screamlead

Home Brewing
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:11:58 AM »
Hi - Jackstee - are you in Uk or Turkey? and what do you mean by -
I now have an orange, apricot and a blackcurrant. This Friday will check the price od peach( For peach snaps) and white grapes. Did you mean fruit bushes or the juice? Apricot and Peach are really notorisously hard juices to 'clear' if made into wine as you need loads of pectolase to get rid of the haze. However peach schnapps sounds interesting, a lot of home brew forums wont touch shorts, spirits or distilling as its still illegal in UK.

Offline screamlead

Home Brewing
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 07:34:23 AM »
Anyway on with the show - a quick wine and a Turbo Cider.

Quick Wine - Ingredients

1 x ltr carton of white grape juice ( from any of the supermarkets - cheap is fine!)
3 x ltr cartons of Orange Juice
400 gr sugar (dissolve in 500ml boiled water)
1 x cup stewed tea (make a cup of tea and leave to cool with t bag in cup)
Juice of 1 lemon
Yeast nutrient - Sodium Metabisulphate or a spoon of Andrews
T spoon of yeast
Put the tea, sugar solution, nutrient, lemon juice and grape juice into your 5ltr bottle then add the orange juice - fill to 3-4 inches from top ( you may have some orange juice left - save for topping up later)
Then add a t spoon of yeast and let it ferment for about 10 days then syphon off into another bottle to clear - once clear bottle and drink! Leave to mature if you can! LOL

Turbo Cider
Ingredients

Any fruit juices - 4 x ltr cartons - Apple, apple and Black currant, Cherry, Sour Cherry etc etc (anyone seen any pear juice??)
Juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange
1 cup stewed tea
Nil sugar or 400gr if you want a strong one!
Yeast Nutrient
Add the juices to a pan and bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 mins to drive off any preservatives -if any.
Allow to cool
Once cooled add the lot to your 'demijohn' amd top up with bottled water to 3-4 inches from top and add yeast, ferment for 10 days the syphon off as before to a clean demijohn and allow to clear.
Once clear bottle in old pop bottles 1 and 2 ltr coke or lemonade bottles are fine but add 1 tea spoon of sugar per ltr and squeeze air out of one of the bottles and secure top - leave in warm place for 5 days then fridge for 5, keep an eye on squeezed bottle as once it returns to normal shape your turbo cider is carbonated and ready to drink.
The sour cherry, apple and apple and blackcurrant have all turned out superb here and strong!

Offline philrose

Home Brewing
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »
Interesting recipes, I will certainly give the wine a go.
One question why do you need to boil the juice to remove preservetives in the cider recipe and not in the wine one?

Offline screamlead

Home Brewing
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
Philrose - its because if you boil the orange juice you will end up with a bad haze in the wine.
Also some of the juices like cherry,apple,apple and blackcurrant, and sour cherry may have a preservative called pottasium sorbate in them which when used in wine is a fermentation stopper (mainly used in red wines to stop ferments from going too dry) but its also used as a preservative in juices and cordials.
Other juices from fruit like - Peach,apricot,orange and plums are bad at producing hazes so never boil them, they are always 'cold' fermented in a bucket first then strained into demijohns after 5 days or so - some after 10-12 days. With those you would add 1 campden Tablet or a spoonful of Sodium Metabisulphate (same thing) to the fruit in the bucket which kills off any wild yeasts before you add your own yeast and its also a preservative once fermentation is finished and stops wines from oxidising.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf