Author Topic: Turkish Petrol Stations  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Turkish Petrol Stations
« on: November 28, 2011, 18:25:39 PM »
Petrol stations in Turkey aren't like those in the UK. This is isn't just because you still get attendant service at the pumps - although in the UK this is a very distant memory. There are other things.

For example, when we visited some friends in a village near the resort we were staying one of our hosts said "Don't walk back. It's hot. Anyway I have to go to the garage". Thinking the car needed petrol we were surprised when she went past the pumps and pulled out outside a little shop attatched to the station. It was a bakery. "Come on in" she said "This is the best baklava bakery in the whole district. People come here from miles around". We were offered a taste, tried a few, and bought a box-full. They were rather expensive but, my word, they were bloody delicious.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised. One year we landed at Dalaman in the early hours of the morning and picked up our taxi for Kalkan. Not all that much further than Fethiye we pulled into a petrol station for refuelling. It had a restaurant. No surprise. It also had a swimming pool; and not a very small one either. You possibly know the place I mean. They don't have petrol stations like that in the UK.

Do you know some interesting petrol stations?

P.S. We crested the coastal mountains above Kalkan just as dawn was breaking. We stopped and the taxi-man and we two sat by the roadside and watched the day begin over that lovely bay with its Snake and Mouse islands. Now that's how to arrive for your holiday!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Turkish Petrol Stations
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 18:47:29 PM »
I've driven from Fethiye to Istanbul via the mountains and the coast road and I've also been to Sivas in the North East of country. On each trip I've made a point of using the facilities at the petrol stations along the way. I've never been disappointed with the quality and cleanliness of the restaurants, cafes, toilets etc.

Some of the best service areas are those owned by the Turkish Truckers Union and are far better than any Truck Stop I've used in the UK or Europe.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Turkish Petrol Stations
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 19:01:10 PM »
Do the Truckers Union have a sign like "Les Routiers" in France so people can pick them out?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Turkish Petrol Stations
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 19:05:29 PM »
Yes, I think it's called TÜMTiS.

Their website is http://tumtis.org/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 19:12:15 PM by KKOB »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Turkish Petrol Stations
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 19:20:24 PM »
Thanks KKOB. I tried to search it on Google Images. At the end of Page 4 I was presented with a photograph of "Katie Price outside the Oxford Union". I don't want to even begin to think about how that kind of thing happens, not on a week night.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 19:25:08 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Turkish Petrol Stations
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 19:27:33 PM »
Maybe the first T was a mistaken D and there is another T omitted just before the S?

Offline scorcher

Turkish Petrol Stations
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 19:48:47 PM »
Matron...!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Turkish Petrol Stations
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 20:46:16 PM »
Oooooeerrrrr.!!!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Turkish Petrol Stations
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 21:13:03 PM »
Weird, I just looked at this thread, went back to the main forum list & there was an ad for forecourt equipment! Am I being stalked?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Turkish Petrol Stations
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 21:20:41 PM »
Not you, Google stalk the forum and match adverts to the content. If you use Google for your searches they can target you with adverts that may be relevant to what you searched for  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf