Author Topic: Setting up a company in Turkey  (Read 2773 times)

Offline keng38

• Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow
Setting up a company in Turkey
« on: December 06, 2011, 22:31:22 PM »
I'm looking to set up a company that will be charging commission to a Turkish company for exporting and selling items in the UK.

Ideally I would like to set this up as a turkish company even though I will have no employees and invoice via email etc.
Is this possible nowadays or are the rules still a partnership only with a Turkish National?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 22:39:14 PM »
Three things to bear in mind.

1. Don't
2. Do
3. It

Sorry.

Offline BM06

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 00:43:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by keng38

I'm looking to set up a company that will be charging commission to a Turkish company for exporting and selling items in the UK.

Ideally I would like to set this up as a turkish company even though I will have no employees and invoice via email etc.
Is this possible nowadays or are the rules still a partnership only with a Turkish National?

Ken, that has never been a rule, and as Kieth has said do not do it. I have and rules come out of the woodwork that were not even in the woodwork in the first place. if you are importing then set your Co up in the UK, the Turkish Co that is exporting should have all the licences in place for export, if Kosha  ;)

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »
Everyone says don't do it - but why not?  what's different to having a company in Turkey compared to the UK?  Are there any advantages to having a Turkish company? Just interested.

Offline screamlead

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:05:30 AM »
A Turk must own 51% of your company and you must employ a certain ammount of Turks to Every foreigner and pay minimum wages and health insurance - and thats before you try to sell anything.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:21:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by kizkucuk

Everyone says don't do it - but why not?  what's different to having a company in Turkey compared to the UK?  Are there any advantages to having a Turkish company? Just interested.

If there are, I can't think of any. There appears to be rules and regulations that none of us understand, or that change for foreigners, and that is just the start of it. If you decide you want to cease trading in future, you pay out for still owning the company unless/until someone else decides they want to take it off your hands and can be like an extra mortgage from your monthly budget. Taxes are almost impossible to follow, and if they hit you, they hit you hard and don't appear to have to explain where they got the figures from.If you don't get it paid, or can't afford to, the interest will cripple you in no time. A Turkish friend said of the Turkish taxman "If you get fined and can't pay it, you'll never be able to pay it", such is the rate of escalation of fines and interest.

I would say that given the choice between setting up a company in the UK and doing the same in Turkey should take a split second. Pay your taxes, pay your NI, and run a business where you understand your incomes and liabilities. Best thing I ever did.

Offline Janice1971

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:12:18 AM »
DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:17:43 AM »
Take the advice of those who have been there and done it Ken! Don't live up to your name ;-)

Offline Janice1971

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 10:22:40 AM »
You are bound to lose everything, sooner or later it will all go wrong, we have been there abd believe me its a nightmare!

Offline starman™

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by screamlead

A Turk must own 51% of your company and you must employ a certain ammount of Turks to Every foreigner and pay minimum wages and health insurance - and thats before you try to sell anything.

I think you will find that the law changed quite a few years ago. 100% foreign owned companies are allowed to operate in Turkey and do not need local partners. look at vodafone for example and HSBC, no foreign partners down to the single man operations like consultancy companies etc and there are plenty of them. Although the law of 5 Turks to every foreigner employed is true (notice I said employed)
Still the paperwork and red tape is a nightmare to take on and as others say, dont bother.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:34:10 AM by starmanâ„¢ »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf