Author Topic: Balotelli - will anyone miss him?  (Read 8284 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Balotelli - will anyone miss him?
« on: January 29, 2013, 20:37:11 PM »
For me - a Mancunian with a soft spot for Man City - he represents EVERYTHING that is wrong with football today.

Joining  AC Milan where a certain Mr Berlusconi has a controlling interest - very well suited.

Good riddance   ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Balotelli - will anyone miss him?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 20:44:51 PM »
For me as a person who despises Man City due to their buying success at all costs policy, I must disagree and say he's the only thing worth watching them on MOTD for  :)

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 21:00:57 PM »
I can sort of understand the attraction   ;)

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:14:06 AM »
For me as a person who despises Man City due to their buying success at all costs

Do I detect a hint of the green stuff?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »
Not even a tiny bit of it - if you think sport is about spending billions and billions of pounds until you become the best, that's fine  :)

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:47:02 AM »
Sport in general or Man City in particular?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 09:53:45 AM »
Sport in general but Man City in particular :D

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »
Ah - you clearly don't remember the halcyon days in the 60's & 70's when the club was run by a Mr White and a Mr Swales who owned a very small chain of Domestic and Electrical Shops in South Manchester and Cheshire.

With a relatively small budget they managed to win the title and a European trophy but then overspent and mismanaged the club (through being overly optimistic - I think it started with buying Rodney Marsh and I also remember a million pounds purchase for a Steve Daly from Wolves who was a disaster for the club).

So their fortunes plummeted in the 80's and 90's becoming the first ever European trophy winners to be relegated to English football's third tier.

At this point my support was more for Man Utd than City having supported Man Utd as a boy and a teenager going to many games both home and away. But the continuous "stick" (more than just stick) that Man Utd fans gave to City fans when they were at their lowest ebb annoyed me.

I have a relative who is a very very highly paid solicitor - been a red since he was born - and even at that point he used to say "I will not be happy until they are in the Conference"

So onwards and upwards we arrive today at a time when they have a very very rich financial benefactor - every dog has his or her day - even Rushden & Diamonds - in your old "neck of the woods".

The real worry is "What happens to Chelsea, Man City, Nottingham Forrest, Southampton, Aston Villa when that benefactor decides to withdraw - well we can see that at Portsmouth, Birmingham etc.

But I suspect if the club is in a densely populated area there will always be another benefactor???

So well done to the well run clubs like Arsenal, Everton, Wolves who attempt to manage to balance their books.

And for now - Come on City lets make it at least a 2 horse race   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »

So well done to the well run clubs like Arsenal, Everton, Wolves who attempt to manage to balance their books.

Yes well done, you probably will never win the Premiership ever again, but that's sport life.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 11:55:32 AM »
I will certainly not miss him, for footballing or off the pitch (and indeed on the pitch) incident reasons. I am not one of the Martin Samuel's (Daily Mail) school of more understanding towards overblown, arrogant, inconsistent and footballer millionaires, because they could be mentally ill. Spend some money on a social worker.  On balance Ballotelli and many other players like him, drag football down, they do not lift it up...as my old man used to say 'It's an insult to the working man'.

As for Mercenary City (or Chelski/QPR et al.) buying success, I'm with Scunner, I don't like it.  Particularly when they keep buying my clubs better players  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf