Author Topic: Update. Poor internet.  (Read 5652 times)

Offline jackstee

Update. Poor internet.
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »
You may remember that I posted that after 10 - 11 months of perfect internet at around 3.5 MB it sddenly started to go wonkey for the last month.

On/off and speeds down to 0.27 kb.

So last week I decided to go to the Turk Telecom (Blue Building) which is only 5 mins walk from where I live.

Now the office was very busy so I told the security guy I had an internet problem. He looked around, then pointed to a wooden door at the back of the office and told me that technical was on the third floor.

Went to the 3rd floor , down the corridoor and into a big glass office.

Back to the door , right hand side, far side, is the guy that does internet. Directly opposide the door is the guy that does lines(he speaks good english)

Straight away the internet guy looked at my connection and said I had a technical problem. After around 10 mins he had reset , and told me that I should now have 4 meg.

Went home and I did, for at least one hour but it also kept tripping.

Whent again and again total around 8 vists over two weeks. They did send engineers to check the lines but thay only checked at the main distribution boxs.

During that period the municipality dug the road up at our street due to a broken water pipe. (cased by a contractor knocking down an old shop)

During the pipe excavation they ripped out all the telephone cables so that took a couple of days to repair. (Last weekend)

This week called at the office a couple of times and then got a visit from a very nice guy who actually checked the line (Very noisy) then the cable and finally found that the joint between my cable and telecom was corroded. Not imediatly obviouse.

He cleaned the wires, taped them up again, phoned the internet office and within 15 mins I had 3.5 MB again and a clean line.
It's now been 3 days, no interruptions and still 3.5 meg.

It can pay to persivere and in this instance it was my fault. I do admit it was easier for me than most as I live very close to there office.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Update. Poor internet.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »
Good news, and I really admire your perseverance to get the right result.  Truth is though somebody should have diagnosed that problem on the line months ago, it was then an issue of identifying the precise location of the fault, not a hard or difficult task ..... looks to me like their - and I stretch at this description - 'technical people' could do with some diagnostic training!!

Mind you I know from my own reasonably extensive experience that it is increasingly the same problem in the UK, as BT (Openreach or BT Wholesale) continue to contract out or off-shore their technical support to the cheapest provider, which means that you get low skilled ijiots turning up to clear a fault and they haven't a clue.  Which is not only infuriating for the people who who to deal with these untrained people, again and again.  With so many businesses requiring higher grade broadband for data, voice and other services that is reliable, the poor service that companies/individuals receive from BT these days (even if you are with another provider like Talk Talk or O2 for example) is having an impact on the UKs economy to compete internationally.

Offline BUBSMUM

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 16:28:44 PM »
You may remember that I posted that after 10 - 11 months of perfect internet at around 3.5 MB it sddenly started to go wonkey for the last month.

On/off and speeds down to 0.27 kb.

So last week I decided to go to the Turk Telecom (Blue Building) which is only 5 mins walk from where I live.

Now the office was very busy so I told the security guy I had an internet problem. He looked around, then pointed to a wooden door at the back of the office and told me that technical was on the third floor.

Went to the 3rd floor , down the corridoor and into a big glass office.

Back to the door , right hand side, far side, is the guy that does internet. Directly opposide the door is the guy that does lines(he speaks good english)

Straight away the internet guy looked at my connection and said I had a technical problem. After around 10 mins he had reset , and told me that I should now have 4 meg.

Went home and I did, for at least one hour but it also kept tripping.

Whent again and again total around 8 vists over two weeks. They did send engineers to check the lines but thay only checked at the main distribution boxs.

During that period the municipality dug the road up at our street due to a broken water pipe. (cased by a contractor knocking down an old shop)

During the pipe excavation they ripped out all the telephone cables so that took a couple of days to repair. (Last weekend)

This week called at the office a couple of times and then got a visit from a very nice guy who actually checked the line (Very noisy) then the cable and finally found that the joint between my cable and telecom was corroded. Not imediatly obviouse.

He cleaned the wires, taped them up again, phoned the internet office and within 15 mins I had 3.5 MB again and a clean line.
It's now been 3 days, no interruptions and still 3.5 meg.

It can pay to persivere and in this instance it was my fault. I do admit it was easier for me than most as I live very close to there office.

That's really interesting Jackstee.  I live in town (well bottom of Olu Deniz Road).  I have always boasted about my uninterrupted internet service UNTIL last Friday.  Now I'm not a techy and it doesn't matter how many speed tests I do, I really don't understand the results!  Anyway Friday saw my internet playing up.  As I only had the number for TTNET on my bill I phoned the help service in Istanbul.  Told them that I'd unconnected the modem upteen times and that my ADSL light was flashing on and off.  Over the next four days I had to phone them twice.  It would come back on for a couple of hours and then go off again.

I really lost it yesterday and took my modem and adaptor to my computer shop and they tested it and came to my house to install a new one which seems to have put things right.  However, I can no longer watch internet tv and the broadband width speed is too slow.

Reading your post makes me think that I too am affected by certain roadwork but when I asked TTNET if there was a problem in my area, all they could say is that they would send a report!

Maybe a visit to the local Telekom office is the next move.  Everyone else seems to get engineers to their home and sort things out how should I proceed?  Have you got a contact number for the local office that I could use?

Offline jackstee

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 17:31:39 PM »
Sorry Bubsmum

had to actually go there. The 121 phone number worked for a while. Dial 121, put the reciever down , after i min press six ( I think thats for ADSL) put the reciever down after 1 min pres 8 (Thats supposed to be for there supplier Alarko.

Normally by then it's working so just put the phone down. I sometimes had to do this several times but it was the visits to the office that got it solved.

Offline BUBSMUM

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »
Thanks Jackstee

I seem to be on track and up to speed now - excuse the pun - your info good to know however  ;)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 17:36:02 PM »
I'd suggest that you report you have a noisy phone line and that have noticed that your broadband has slowed since they 'dug up the road'.  Keep it as simple as that, and in the very least they will come out to the 'demarcation point' between your home cable and the street cable to check, and then hopefully they will see that you have a problem with the line.  Have to say they do not have the most sophisticated of diagnostic tools, just a set of cutters and a telephone handset.

My own painful experience with TurkTelecom is it is best to report using the website, I had better luck using this channel than phone calls and going to the TT office.  Good luck

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 17:21:14 PM »
Internet in Uzumlu really poor tonight. Have just complered  a speedtest. Download speed 0.22 mb  upload 0.12. Anyone else having trouble ?.
WW

Offline Gary-O

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 18:25:22 PM »
Yes, i managed .74mb download and .45mb upload and i normally get 6+download, fed up with the tv buffering

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 18:27:06 PM »
Mine down in Calis is rubbish tonight

Offline jackstee

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 08:52:01 AM »
Ours was more or less down to. From what I was told I'd put this one down to the weather.
Apparently there was a huge flash of lightning over our house and the Internet went off. Could be surge protection.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf