Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Susiepink

« on: June 11, 2013, 21:05:21 PM »
Hi,
I'm really new to this type of thing, and not really sure how it works, however here goes.
I'm moving to Uzumlu in October, I'm a single mature woman, and its all a bit daunting, I'm hoping to make new friends and not look back ! I've been to turkey loads of times on holiday, and often dreamt about retiring there, but this year have plucked up courage to do it. I've given notice at work, and found a place to stay for my first 6 months, and will take it from there. I would like to start chatting to people before I make the move, and I don't think it will feel quite so scary, knowing there are others like me.
Any hints and tips would be more than welcome, I've already discovered that the transfer buses don't run to Uzumlu so the trip from the airport is going to be a bit of a trek, (either that or very expensive by taxi)
Hope to hear from somebody,     Anybody.   ??? Soon ???

Offline marina

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 21:13:42 PM »
Hi Susiepink.  Welcome to the forum and well done on taking the brave step to retire out here.

Not something we've done ourselves but lots of people on here who have made the move, so any questions you want answering just ask, and someone will have an answer.

Good luck with the move   :)

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 22:52:45 PM »
Good for you for taking the plunge!  I don't know any answers about transfers I'm afraid but many do. I'm sure you're going to be very happy.   :D

Offline Mary Howarth

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:33:57 AM »
Hi Susie

I did the very same thing over 6 years ago and flew out to Uzumlu to live for the first three months to find my way around when you get out here in October make contact with me and I will help you all I can.

I am very happy here and have some wonderful friends its very brave of you but don't worry you will be fine.

See you in October xx

Offline Rosy

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:46:53 AM »
forum members can get a transfer via Pegasus rentacar for £30 by telling them they are members of the forum. There is also a slot on here  to say when you are wanting a transfer and if other people are dropping off or meeting someone they could offer you a lift too if they have room.

:)There is lots going on here, and ways to meet people. If you are interested in crafts, charity work or just meeting like minded people for leisurely lunches. There are regular events such as quizzes, some weekly and others monthly, they are fun. There are also other organised events which are always mentioned here on the forum. There is no need to worry about what to do, more likely to be a concern of how to fit it all in. Good luck with your move to Uzumlu, you will love every moment you spend here.

Offline angela

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 15:00:41 PM »
best of luck with your move Susypink, I'm very envious

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 16:44:06 PM »
Pop into The Winehouse & meet the owners (Ian & Sener) who I'm sure will help with any local info you need. The Animal Aid (Fethiye) group have a weekly quiz night there on a Tuesday which is 99% expats so you'll soon find someone to chat to & share a fun quiz with.

There is a very good Facebook page dedicated to Fethiye & surrounding area Expats & also (I believe) 1 for Uzumlu too.

Good luck & I admire the bravery of moving to a foreign country as a single person, to be commended.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 16:59:18 PM »
"Hi,
I'm really new to this type of thing, and not really sure how it works, however here goes.
I'm moving to Uzumlu in October, I'm a single mature woman, and its all a bit daunting, I'm hoping to make new friends and not look back ! I've been to turkey loads of times on holiday, and often dreamt about retiring there, but this year have plucked up courage to do it. I've given notice at work, and found a place to stay for my first 6 months, and will take it from there. I would like to start chatting to people before I make the move, and I don't think it will feel quite so scary, knowing there are others like me.
Any hints and tips would be more than welcome, I've already discovered that the transfer buses don't run to Uzumlu so the trip from the airport is going to be a bit of a trek, (either that or very expensive by taxi)
Hope to hear from somebody,     Anybody.   ??? Soon ???"

Hi suziepink, welcome to the forum, my wife & I moved out here full time nearly 3 years ago and love it, I'm sure you will make many friends here in Uzumlu and I know that the Uzumlu Ladies Group will always welcome new members. Good luck with your relocation, if there is anything we can do or advise you on, just ask.  :)

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 20:00:57 PM »
Hi, thanks to all the lovely people who have replied to my post yesterday, I feel better already!
I will be moving out around 5th October, I have loads to sort out before then. I am really looking forward to the move and making lots of new friends. I have a lot to ask about, best and cheapest way to get Internet, is it cheap to run a car ( I'm aware that Uzumlu is a bit out of the way). I like peace and quiet, so I'm sure I will like this village, and now I've made contact with a few people I don't feel so isolated. This forum business is a bit new to me, and I'm replying to myself here, not really sure if this is the way to do it !!

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 20:04:25 PM »
hi and a warm welcome hope you enjoy the time you will spend in uzumlu

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf