Author Topic: Can we drink water from a tub in Turkey?  (Read 15646 times)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Re: Can we drink water from a tub in Turkey?
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 23:46:09 PM »
i even make the ice cubes from the waterdispenser not taking any chances  :)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 00:05:52 AM »
A bit of rudimentary research shows that Fethiye water is high in calcium - compacted calcium is what kidney stones are made of.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 00:16:58 AM »
I have done research that says that water hardness and kidney stones aren't linked.  Also, I think, though may be wrong, that dialysis isnt needed for Kidney stones.  So we are possibly talking 2 different scenarios anyway.  So.  I am asking can anyone provide an internet link to medical proof that there is a link between water hardness and kidney disease needing dialysis.  However, I HAVE found information about the link between Diabetes and kidney disease......

Offline Menthol

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 00:53:44 AM »
I couldn't find anything, Rindaloo.

I'm probably using the wrong search terms, or it may be as you say there is no link researched yet between drinking water and kidney problems.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »
This is what the British Association of Urological Surgeons has to say about the subject:

Are stones caused by hard water?

No. The calcium & magnesium salts which result in "hard" water are not usually absorbed to any significant degree and do not, therefore, play a part in stone formation.

Unfortunately, people have been known to suffer from kidney stones for thousands of years, all over the world and local water issues have no bearing on this.

Drinking tap water is the best way to reduce your risk of further stone formation. Many people drink mineral or spring waters, in the belief that these are healthier. Whilst some are, indeed, low in mineral content, some contain higher levels of calcium and magnesium than tap water (together with other potentially harmful chemicals) in a form which can be absorbed and may not, therefore, be suitable for patients with stones.

A water softener is unnecessary because, although it supplies you with soft water for washing & bathing, your drinking supply (usually the cold tap in your kitchen) is not connected to the softener. It is, therefore, of no benefit in preventing stone recurrence.

http://www.baus.org.uk/Sections/endourology/pag/FAQ_hardness

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
I wonder why there is so many people in the area with stones?  There must be a reason for the high incidence of this condition? There must also be a reason why it was in the local press about the water not being good.
However, as folk who lives in an area of Scotland with very soft water, We don't need to de-scale the kettle, dishwasher or washing machine.  I suppose we have been spoilt because I have been to London and other areas of England and the water there  tastes terrible.  I remember when we lived in Liverpool we always had to de-scale the kettle because the water was so hard.
We will not be drinking the local water in Calis or making ice cubes of it. We don't like the taste of the water, it's horrible, so will continue with the bottle water. 
It's up to everyone to make their own decision but wild horses would not persuade us to drink the local water.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 10:27:07 AM »
Personally, I think its more of a taste preference, when we first came to turkey many years ago, we hated the taste and used bottled water all the time, now I use the tap water boiled for tea and coffee and cooking etc, but prefer the bottled water from the cooler for drinking. when I go back to the U K, I think the water tastes strange in tea and coffee, so as I say its down to taste I believe.   :) ps, the only other water ive ever had a problem with anywhere is the falling down water.  ;) :D

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 10:36:45 AM »
I was reading about Kidney stones Jacqui and one reason you can have them is because of dehydration.  And, considering the heat here, it might well be as simple as people not drinking enough(water, that is....  :P ). 

But, as I said, the kidney dialysis is possibly more to do with Diabetes.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 12:02:05 PM »
Without wanting to "sensationalise" this thread - the man I spoke at length to was telling me that one of the problems in the area was higher than average levels of chrome and other minerals / metals in the water - filtering through the Taurus mountains.

This not only led to kidney problems but other health issues - including cancer.

Now he would do wouldn't he as he is in the business of selling water filtration systems.
If I pass his business again (it is above the shop who make name plates on adnan menderes bulvari - near kipa and we spoke at length as he interpreted for me as I waited for my door name plate to be engraved) - I will get the name / website as it contained all the details of the high level minerals / names etc.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 13:27:34 PM »
Well Rindi, I will still use bottled water, but as Des says, it's taste and was to us when we first came to Calis and had not heard about kidney trouble.. : :)
Incidentally, nice to meet you last month.. ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf