Author Topic: Kitchenware/Linen etc  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Top Brother

Kitchenware/Linen etc
« on: June 02, 2005, 19:56:06 PM »
We are buying a house in Calis and will be there for a week in June with our two young sons who can't stand shopping!!  While we are there we need to kit out the whole house so that it is ready to rent in July.  We've had some very helpful advice on where to get furniture and are now moving on to the next requirement which is kitchenware, linen, towels etc.  We have been told that the pound shop is a good place to get kitchenware, plates, glasses etc.  Can anyone suggest where we should go for linen and towels??  

When we vist in June we basically want to spend a day buying everything (except furniture) so that we can then sit back and wait for the deliveries and hopefully enjoy a bit of sun too!

Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Sillybilly

Kitchenware/Linen etc
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 20:13:48 PM »
why not try the markets or migros for your bed linen Top Brother?
Billy

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Kitchenware/Linen etc
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 21:29:30 PM »
there are lots of shops on the top road in fethiye that sell linen in all sizes ,don`t forget to barter

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Kitchenware/Linen etc
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 00:54:05 AM »
Hi
Take Billy's advice. There is the Sunday market in Calis and Tuesday in Fethiye. We went specifically for beach towels but all types of towelling, bedding and other linen stuff is abundant (also cheap and negotiable)
Cheers
       Ken & Sue

Offline mibur

Kitchenware/Linen etc
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 08:12:05 AM »
We were over to furnish our place recently and bought all our towels and bed linen at the markets.
We went to the sunday market at Calis and got 4 king size sheets, 12 single size sheets, 12 pillow cases and 6 pillows. The lot for £46! This was after quite a lot of bartering with the stall holder and then he threw in a pack of 6 tea towels as a "present" after we had agreed the price. At the same market we got 12 Bath sheets and 12 hand towels for £60. he also gave us a present of a few face cloths, after we had agreed a price.
We got the throws for the beds from Fethiye market on the Tuesday, very good quality, 1 king size and 4 single for £60 (originally they were asking £85) they too gave us a present of two little place mats that matched the covers which we have placed on the bedside cabinets.
We also got our curtains made up from a stall at Fethiye market.
He came out to measure after we had chosen the material, He came back the next day with another chap to fix the track and fit the curtains, total price £304. The curtains are lined voille and the quality is very good.
I don't know how this compares with prices other members have paid but we thought we had a good deal in everything that we bought.
The chap that we bought the curtains from at the market also has a shop in Fethiye and we were told later by a couple of locals that if we had gone in to his shop we would have paid a lot more!
I think you are being a little bit ambitious if you think you will do all your shopping in one day!
Best of Luck and hope it is not too stressful!
mibur  

Offline brummyboy

• Crocodile Dudlee
Kitchenware/Linen etc
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 16:27:41 PM »
top brother,i furnished about two weeks ago and did 90% of it in one day.this was only possible because i had spent about six weeks on this forum gathering all the information.i was like roy cropper with my little bag and list.
i got most of my things from the pound shop the rest i am taking from ikea in the old suitcase.
anyway,if you are going to the million shop ,it might be best if one of you go because its a little bit busy in there and its on a nasty juction could be a bit dangerous if you dont keep your eye on the young ones.they will pack everything for you and load it into a taxi which costs about £6.dont get me wrong its a great shop but its a bit tight.
there are some really nice linen and towels in either of the markets..

wishing you all the best brumm
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 16:36:24 PM by brummyboy »

Offline Top Brother

Kitchenware/Linen etc
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 21:45:37 PM »
Thanks everyone, we'll definitely visit the markets and the pound shop.

Brummy Boy, we had the same idea about Ikea - went today, as usual were stunned when we got the bill, not sure it will all fit in a suitcase!!

Offline brummyboy

• Crocodile Dudlee
Kitchenware/Linen etc
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 23:26:32 PM »
we got some nice plastic bowl and plate sets for about a fiver a set and there not bad,save replacing them everytime time the kids drop them..
 i'm the same trying to fit it all into the cases. were taking cheap dvd players (£25 asda)and stereo ect.thats the bonus with the kids we get 40 kilos allowance.

all the best marcus

Offline hillg1968

Kitchenware/Linen etc
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 15:18:25 PM »
Brummy

This might be a daft question but will a cheap dvd player bought in the UK work in Turkey.
If it does then I will take one to keep our lad quiet.

Cheers

Gav

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Kitchenware/Linen etc
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 16:21:12 PM »
Brummy,

Yes it will work but they are just as cheap in Turkey and come with a guarantee and the correct plug.

Rimms

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf