Author Topic: Hello, we are visiting in April  (Read 8099 times)

Offline Alan McKean

Hello, we are visiting in April
« on: February 18, 2014, 20:42:49 PM »
Hello, we are Alan and Sarah, visiting for a week mid April 12th -17th, with two teenage boys.
We holidayed in Calis 3 years ago and loved it but too hot for us in July.

Am a little worried from reading some posts that restaurants may be closed, swimming pools empty and no water taxi's running. Can anyone reassure us that there will be other tourists apart from us?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Hello, we are visiting in April
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 20:51:10 PM »
Hi Alan

We were there last April for a week - definitely no water taxi I'm afraid :(

It's still too cold for pools too. There's enough of everything open in Calis and Fethiye will be pretty much fully open. It's a nice time to visit, quieter, people have more time to sit and chat, and it isn't punishingly hot like you said about July. Weather will be "variable"  :)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 21:28:11 PM »
I think April is too early for getting the best out of Calis, many bars, restaurants getting ready to open late May.  We holidayed in Turkey in May a few years ago and there were lots of painting, decorating going on, we would not consider holidaying in Calis before the end of May. Late May, early June is the best time to be there avoiding the massively high temperatures, but having some sunshine. Otherwise September/October when the sea temp. is at its highest.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 22:02:34 PM »
Agree with Echogirl,  End of May or September the best times to come when it's not too hot.  We never come in July or August.  However, I suppose it's difficult if you have children of school age. Catch 22 really.  Nothing much happening and not a lot open in mid April when kids are off school and far too hot in July.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 22:06:20 PM »
I disagree with both of you :D

April is lovely - there's enough open, the plants and flowers are starting to bloom rather than wither, the pace is easy and the weather makes plenty of good days followed by atmospheric dinners in restaurants with lovely fires raging. Definitely not too early.

And if that doesn't sell it I don't know what will  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 22:11:23 PM »
Yes, but Alan wants the water taxi and full pools and probably warm sea.. In fact a hot holiday resort. He can sit in front of the fire at home in Britain.. In fact Scotland is nice in April...now if that does not sell it etc., .... ;D :P

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 22:17:52 PM »
I'm not arguing that Alan will get all or any of that - my point is that it still has plenty to offer. If temperature is all it's about then they might as well close the Alps :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 22:19:01 PM »
I will know better next year Inshallah and will be back with my report on Calis in April.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 22:21:56 PM »
You have advised against visiting Calis in April but are yet to experience Calis in April?

Offline Lotty

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 22:39:20 PM »
We love it in April, even March, it's so fresh and everything is awakening and promising. New blossoms, time to chat and laugh with staff in restaurants, no stuffed dolmus. The weather us perfect for us, hot days but not scorching - yet cool, comfortable nights. You can still snuggle up!  I love the end of year too in October/ November but it has a more tired but relaxed feeling. Love those times, I really couldn't bear July or August heat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf