Author Topic: I Didn't See What I Saw  (Read 5244 times)

Offline Menthol

Re: I Didn't See What I Saw
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 16:17:50 PM »
Boeing 767 airliners

Offline Alan Rex Barrett

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 16:44:00 PM »
This was one of the "where were you,when this happened?"moments.I was on a 4 hour break between shifts of work.I had nodded off whilst watching the television.I suddenly awoke and thought I was watching a disaster movie.I will never forget the fact that it dawned on me that the aircraft I was watching smash into the twin towers on the screen was the all too real deal.The rest was a surreal unfolding of shock and terror.RIP all victims of mans inhumanity to man.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 17:21:16 PM »
My post did not mean that I don't believe that it happened, I was watching it all unfold "live" on television at the Pool Bar at Belcekiz Hotel, Olu Deniz., for Christ's sake !! What I CANNOT get my thoughts around, is the preposterous claim, by C.I.A. , & F.B.I. to a lesser extent, that on top of hundreds of thousands of tons of metal, concrete etc. a passport belonging to one of the alleged terrorists was found !! Just saying.
I also remember an announcement over the Hotel "Tannoy" system, shortly afterwards, demanding that any guest/guests possessing a german Passport MUST report immediately to the reception area, which had been secured !! At thet, most other guests that we spoke to ,believed that Bader Meinhoff were involved !!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 17:28:07 PM »
I'm not talking to you Gordon. You've been ostrich-ized.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 17:46:15 PM »
I remember I was in the Co-op in Bangor, N.Ireland and the girl at the till told me.  I drove back to my Mum in Laws and her and my Sister in Law had the T.V. on watching  it. Phil was out on his brother's boat sailing and when they came in they knew nothing about it.
I recall my daughter and I going to N.Y. two years after the Twin Towers and seeing the site, it was so chilling to be there and to see all the boards up with details of the people who had been lost Including all the Firemen  Also there where details of the day it happened and photographs, many people were in tears.  It was moving and sad.
We did a bus tour of N.Y. and the guy on the mike told us as we went passed a hospital to look at the big tent outside, this was the place all the remains of the victims, even tiny bones where keep and people worked on them to try and identify the D.N.A. to match them up so relatives would have something... That again was very moving. 
We also thought it really lovely that all the Fire Engines and and the Fire Station near our Hotel had the American Flags Flying and the Fire Station also had lists of names and photos of he Firemen who died.
We found the way the people in the City had a great togetherness and a great pride in their Fire and Police services so nice.

Offline marina

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 18:07:56 PM »
I remember where we were - our very first holiday in Turkey, in Bitez.  Had just got back to our apartments after a lovely lazy day on the beach when some friends, who were round the pool, shouted to us to come down and watch what was happening on the tv in the bar. Didn't really register until later just how catastrophic an event it was.  Shook everyone there, locals and tourists alike. 

We flew into New York exactly six months to the day after 9/11.  Was on the viewing platform of the Empire State Building that evening when they switched on two laser beams down in Battery Park to commemorate the twin towers. 

We visited Ground Zero which I found deeply upsetting.

But what did disturb me was all the guys in the streets selling 'mementos' of the Twin Towers. Photos, tacky plastic models, that sort of thing.  Anything to make a dollar I suppose, but I found it disrespectful especially so soon after the event.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 18:14:06 PM »
I was at work when a friend's wife phoned to say what had happened. I said it was pretty unlikely, any pilot would ditch into the sea rather than a building - I never thought those sneaky terrorists would have taken flying lessons.

That evening I had to go to Luton Airport to pick up the mother in law - and her plane was the last one still in the air over England. I heard it had been diverted and would land at Stansted and passengers would be bussed to Luton. I wanted to ask the easyjet staff at Luton if I could drive to Stansted and intercept her before she got on the bus. Sadly, they were far to busy as you can imagine on a day like this - getting the lighting right for that Airport programme they were filming back then.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 18:22:08 PM »

I'm not talking to you Gordon. You've been ostrich-ized.

OUCH !!  I felt that, Colwyn !  Ach well, at least I haven't been "sent to Coventry," I spent a fortnight there one day !!!!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 18:28:28 PM »
Lucky you. I "lived" there for four years in the early 70s. It was dire.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 19:37:16 PM »
My  neighbour's son was in New York on business and saw it unfold from his hotel room a short distance away.
He was supposed to fly home that night but ended up stranded there for nearly two weeks,all flights were stopped.

Apart from a private jet that flew out of the US from Texas the following day containing close family friends of George W Bush
and had been staying at his ranch as guest's. Those friends were the Bin Laden family.   The family of Osama.!!

Wonder why they tried to keep it quiet. ??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf