Author Topic: Yet more crime  (Read 6450 times)

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
Yet more crime
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:17:15 AM »
And far too much of it lately in all areas I am led to believe:( anyway, just to make all ovacikians aware, we have had yet another break in atOaklands complex they forced off kitchen window whilst renters were out and ripped safe from wardrobe containing passports and cash. This is on a complex with security, and is the second villa burglary within 9 months.  We are taking steps now to up the security at our villa, and are also liaising with our committee and management company to consider CCTV, extra security etc.  for the complex. But in the meantime, the more people aware of what is happening g, the more alert we will all be, and hopefully run the b*****ds out eventually. :(((((((

Offline Rosy

Re: Yet more crime
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »
so sad that the image of Turkey is getting tarnished in this way. Hope the guests/renters are ok. We al lneed to check our security it can  happen to anyone of us.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that, hope the people are ok, this is sickening, really is, makes you wonder if the dream home is worth all that hard work for, this low life sounded pretty determined, glad your friends were out, but still a shock for them,

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 18:47:29 PM »
They were not our friends, they were rentals of owners who own villa opposite to us. But yes, I understand they are ok, although very shaken, and it has obviously upset them and their holiday greatly.  Unfortunately we were victims last August. My hubby awoke to find a balaclavad man dressed all in black stood next to our bed! I was actually at the bar on the complex at the time, so the cheeky b*****d had actually been watching our villa and seen my hubby go in, leave the door open for me, and then just walked in! Our fault for leaving villa open but I still cannot believe his audacity at actually walking through a lit up villa and up the stairs the the bedroom  where the light was on and a grown man laying in bed!......And all of this talk of robbers on mopeds, and robbing women at cash machines....it's appalling

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 19:46:09 PM »
We too were burglary victims at our villa in Ovacik back in May this year.

My two very burly and tall adult sons, myself and my eldest son's girlfriend were all asleep and the burglar/s helped themselves to phones and monies.

Upped security since and until very recently, felt very nervous about being in the house. Okay now, but it does have an effect there's no doubt. And I do not scare easily.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 22:20:07 PM »
A few weeks ago I called at the hardware shop in Ovacik to collect some fittings i'd ordered and
the guy said come back in 30 minutes, they are on the way.So I drove up the back of the shop
to have a look around.I was amazed at how far Ovacik spreads back up the mountain and some area's
are very isolated. I would imagine it's a difficult area to police. Probably the best defence is everyone
looking out for each other and watching who's about. Some nice new builds up there.Hope the
thieving b##tards are caught soon.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 22:47:37 PM by kevin3 »

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »
I am a member of the Facebook site "crime in Fethiye/Ovacik/Cali's etc".....it's well worth a read for tips and hints and a way of sharing information

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
ripped safe from wardrobe containing passports and cash.

Unfortunately, unless a safe is properly installed using the correct bolts (to a solid wall or concrete floor) they are simply heavy metal carrier bags for the burglar.

I've seen a few installed in Turkey and really don't know why they bother.  Some have had gaps between the safe and the wall (easy to put a crowbar in) and some simply screwed to wooden furniture (easy to rip out). 

Given that most Turkish properties have a concrete floor on at least one level, either installing a floor safe or using the correct fixings for a standard safe shouldn't be that difficult. 

JF

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »
Agree with above. I also think that the small digital safes used by most properties are very easy to break into, having changed the lock on mine I recon anyone could get into them in a couple of minutes with a hammer and screwdriver.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 13:01:14 PM »
small digital safes used by most properties are very easy to break into

Correct.  Takes seconds to open one of them - those who are curious can google it, there are plenty of videos showing how to get into a digital safe without either the code or the master key.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf