Author Topic: A Death Penalty Referendum  (Read 8505 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: A Death Penalty Referendum
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 18:08:43 PM »
But there may be others ahead of you, they just haven't said they're in the queue...

JF
[/quote  I have always thought that the Death Penalty should be re-instated, and not just for murderers either, my Facebook posts will explain my feelings, I am 100% in support of any campaign to re-introduce the ultimate punishment, for rapists, armed robbers ,and acts of treason .

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 18:58:48 PM »
We're debating this on CBF, not Facebook - although I must ask, is there anyone else you'd like added to your list of potential execution victims...  speeders, TV licence dodgers?

JF 

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 19:38:22 PM »
I would never want the death penalty back - I simply think we should make prison harder.  I remember on Benefits Street, Fungi was always happy to be returned to prison because he was fed, looked after etc.  We should treat our criminals as criminals - as they do in USA.  We could also do well to take lessons from the likes of Australia - we are simply too soft. 

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 20:09:58 PM »
We should treat our criminals as criminals - as they do in USA. 

But 32 US states, plus the military, still have the death penalty. So, you only want criminals treated in the way that 18 or so US states treat their criminals. Bit of a difference.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 20:14:27 PM »
I think what Lynne was referring to is the fact that American courts give convicted criminals long prison sentences and in the case of murder, life means life and not 10 years.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 20:50:07 PM »
Oh right.

So, shall we adopt some of their other great policing and judicial traditions ? Like tasering and shooting a tramp to death because he won't get up off the pavement. Sentencing a 16 year old lad to 55 years in jail because he DIDN'T commit murder during a robbery. Making sure you're armed when you go to do your weekly shop. etc

Offline suehugh

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 20:50:28 PM »
No there shouldn't be a referendum. Even if it was a yes. Whom do you assign to be an official murderer on behalf of the majority voters whom aren't always right anyhow.
Murder is murder, sanctioned or otherwise.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 20:54:32 PM »
I don't watch very many films but I did watch one that I found very powerful a few weeks ago. I'd recommend it to all, whether for or against the death penalty.

Peirrepoint - The Last Hangman Starring Timothy Spall.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 21:40:16 PM »
Oh right.

So, shall we adopt some of their other great policing and judicial traditions ? Like tasering and shooting a tramp to death because he won't get up off the pavement. Sentencing a 16 year old lad to 55 years in jail because he DIDN'T commit murder during a robbery. Making sure you're armed when you go to do your weekly shop. etc

No, we don't have to take the whole menu.  Why should we??  However, their justice system for sentencing murders to life (whole life)  is one I approve of.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 22:03:31 PM »
We're debating this on CBF, not Facebook - although I must ask, is there anyone else you'd like added to your list of potential execution victims...  speeders, TV licence dodgers?

JF   Tut Tut, I always thought that you were better and wiser than that remark shows JohnF!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf