Author Topic: UKIP Party Political Broadcast - 3/2/16  (Read 17182 times)

Offline Stuart T

Re: UKIP Party Political Broadcast - 3/2/16
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 20:09:32 PM »
Good point Sadler. Well made.

I was way off topic. Went for w wander up Tangent Alley.

Blame Colwyn......

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 20:34:43 PM »
Disgusted by this video what propaganda. Showing most of the women with covered heads! In Ankara where my hubby is from there are many women without head scarves. Also it is by choice if they wear. And still waiting for my £2200 monthly average wage. Laughable propaganda.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 21:02:21 PM »
£26,200 p.a. average wage?

Is that before or after tax?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 21:20:34 PM »
That's the problem with statistics.

'Call Me Dave' earns £142,500. A junior teacher earns £25,00, So, their average salary is £80,000-ish.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 21:52:30 PM »
Again, good point, well made.

Playing darts this evening. Needed a bull finish on two consecutive occasions.

First attempt, just above, hitting 25 with my first try.

Next game, just below, hitting 25 - a fraction under the red bit.

Statistically it would appear that I was perfect!

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 21:59:38 PM »
The only good thing about it is Fuller's "London Pride"; but I can get that here.

Oh my friend how badly served you are.  It's a well known fact that London Pride does not 'travel well', so if they are serving this to you in Slaverville, reject it out of hand.  It's not until you drink it in London that you will realise what good beer is, and what good beer London Pride is.  Mind you Youngs now travels in from Bedford, rather than being brewed in Wandsworth, and it is a better pint for it, especially Youngs 'ordinary'.  What an upside down world we are living in.

Now to the UKIP PPB. I recognise that you do not like UKIP, and indeed that some of their facts/evidence is a little stretched, but on the points made how many of them were factually wrong and let's list them and people can say/argue over which of them is wrong

Only 3% of Turkey is in Europe.

75 million population due to grow to 84 million

That the size of the population will entitle Turkey to the largest number of seats in an enlarged EU Parliament

That Turkey - under present structure and rules - would be entitled to large parts of the EU Structure Fund and Agriculture subsidies

That the UK will pay more into EU than Turkey could take out

The AVERAGE wages comparison - and of course we both realise that there a large number of people in UK and Turkey who don't earn even this amount.

It is a criminal offence in Turkey to say bad things about their political leaders

Turkey has a terrible record of locking up journalists and constraining press freedom (and not just today)

That Turkish women are ten times more likely to be a victim of violence/abuse than european women

One honour killing a week in Istanbul alone

1/4 of women are married before they are 18

That Christians made up 20% of the population in 1900 today it is less than 0.2%, as discrimination against non Sunni muslims still continues today

Continuing trend for state schools becoming religious schools, number of pupils in these types of schools has risen under AKP from 63,000 to just short of a million.

That there was an attack in Istanbul in which a number German tourists were killed and it was carried out by someone coming from Syria?

And finally they make the point that we will not be consulted as to whether Turkey will join or not.

So how many of the  above points are wrong?  You see I do not like UKIP, or more particularly the little englander mentality they represent, but they keep making solid political and economic points that the UK politicians, and the European political elite, either choose to ignore or will not answer.  They need to address these and other issues if they are going to win the UK Referendum by putting forward solid political point themselves on Turkey or on any other large number of EU related issues.

Now who was it who said that government should be a servant of the people, not it's master.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 22:36:27 PM »
Lots of people have said something similar - Abraham Lincoln to Rockefeller.

It's a crock really - we vote for the government to represent "us" in the best way that they can.

Theoretically, they're the best qualified by training and experience to make those big decisions.

It's difficult enough to run the family home let alone running a nation on a global scale.

In truth, I'd be hopeless at it. I'm a soft touch for any sob story and how I would prioritise where the pennies went I have no idea.

Animal charities have gozillions of pounds at their disposal whilst the appeals to help millions of starving/diseased people go wanting.

I'm sure that a child's life is worth more than a snow leopard's or an Egyptian donkey's but my elderly neighbour thinks not.

People seem to want such different things. How can any government serve such disparate needs?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
Ofcom is considering more than 30 complaints about Ukip’s party political broadcast on ITV and the BBC in relation to racial offence, Islamophobia and bias against Turkey.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/05/ofcom-considers-investigation-ukip-broadcast-complaints

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 16:54:14 PM »
The Mirror has kindly taken apart the UKIP PPB for us UBT; finding it misleading in eleven instances.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukips-party-political-broadcast-misleading-7315550

My thoughts were that it was cleverly done. Looking more like a travel news item it calmly made claims most people inclined to believe this sort of propaganda will accept as fact. It played nicely into people's fear, reinforcing negative beliefs and perceptions.

The poll at the end of the articles listing and explaining these eleven misleading statements currently shows that 60% of those voting do not find it offensive which suggests by UKIP's standards, for them, a pretty successful PPB.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 13:48:33 PM »
Turkey are more than welcome to join the EU, after the UK has left the circus.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf